It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:29 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
The following is the featured written piece that producer David Kershenbaum provided Other Half Entertainment with for inclusion in the 2012 Laura Branigan Spirit Of Love Memorial Gathering event program. We felt it only fitting to connect with David, with this year being the 25th anniversary of the Touch album. We once again thank David for graciously taking the time to remember Laura in this special way.

Kathy and Vince Golik
Other Half Entertainment
The Laura Branigan Management And Production Company

Thinking About Laura
By David Kershenbaum, Producer of Touch

Was she a great singer? One of the best I’ve ever worked with. But more importantly, Laura had a profound effect on me and everyone she met because she was equally an amazing person. When she was around there was always electricity in the air - like something important was taking place. In her life she was one of the warmest, funniest human beings I’ve ever known. But she was not only accomplished in the studio, she was accomplished in living life. Everyone loved her and always wanted to do their best for her.

As a singer Laura was at the top of her game. Incredible pitch and phrasing, and a powerful, high range. She had a great sense of what songs fit her, and that she could deliver. In recording her vocals on Touch - there was very little to do. Not much fixing - she would always nail it. I remember when Doug Morris called and told us he found a number 1 hit for us in Europe. The song was called “Power of Love.” When I heard it, I agreed instantly, but it called for a very high vocal reading in the chorus. That didn't intimidate Laura. She marched right in the studio, and after the track was finished, proceeded to own the song. She easily captured the high chorus and breezed through the rest of the song with ease. This was my favorite vocal performance on the record.

Those few months I got to work with Laura contained some of the most wonderful moments I can remember in the studio. One that comes to mind was when I had planned a Christmas party to launch my new recording studio. I spent days pondering over the menu and finding just the right caterer. I invited the who’s who of the LA music scene and everything was set. On the morning of the event and just a few hours before setup and guests arrived, Laura called me, and in a strange European accent, proceeded to tell me that she was the caterer and she had to cancel - she was not coming. I begged and shamelessly pleaded. Finally after winding me up and sensing my panic for a good 10 minutes, Laura dropped the accent, laughing wildly.

I think about her often and can’t believe she is gone. I miss her.

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

It was great to read this post about Laura making the Touch album.
I really got a laugh at the story about Laura phoning up pretending to be the caterer, even though I didn't know her, that fits in perfectly with other stories I have read. It sounds like Laura had a truly wicked sense of humor! The green ice-cream at the sushi restaurant story where the lady song writer almost had a 3 Alarm fire in her mouth, while LB was in tears laughing is another example of the prankster.
I enjoy watching the vid for "The Lucky One", since it shows this lighter side of Laura.
Going out on a limb here, I am betting that if there is a life after this one, LB will still have her great voice, and sense of humor. So watch out if she offers you a green ice cream cone!!! :lol: :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Kansas
I love that I can still come here and learn something new about Laura. Thank you.