It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:06 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hello everyone,

Greetings to all from the Laura Branigan Spirit of Love Memorial Gathering 2009!

We're enjoying some fantastic weather on Long Island, and enjoying some good times with both old and new friends, including a new friend from Russia! Our thanks to everyone who made the trip, we're really having a great time!

Beyond the 25th anniversary of Self Control, we're focusing this year on "Moving Forward". Just as the Self Control album and its title track proved that Laura could move forward beyond the so-called "sophomore curse" and be a long-standing, viable artist, we fans can also move forward to promote her legacy and her music to those around us. Oftentimes, we hear from fans that friends or loved ones ask them what makes Laura so special to them, and that answer is different for everyone, based on how Laura touched each one of us. And though we've seen some fans step back, choosing to say "I'm moving on", it's clear that so many fans around the world are choosing to say "let's move forward" and do something positive to promote Laura's legacy, from many long-time fans and an ever-growing group of young people just beginning to discover Laura. Whether it's sharing a story, some of her music, keeping up with friends and new acquaintances on the Web, or attending a Spirit of Love event (or several!), we can keep Laura's memory alive in our hearts and in our lives.

Tonight, we're set for our traditional candlelight memorial (around 6 pm), and afterward, a special time of celebrating the 25th anniversary of Self Control. Join with us in spirit around that time; whether you raise a glass in toast, light a candle and pray, or put your favorite Laura song on and remember her with fondness. And of course, you can always write here, on Facebook, MySpace, or email spiritoflove@laurabraniganonline.com with your thoughts and remembrances of Laura as we remember her five years since her passing.

Vince & Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Nice post their Kathy, I enjoyed reading that.
I had my own toast to you folks last evening with some Root Beer in one of my new LB Mugs, I said cheers to all you folks at the Gathering. I used Root Beer since I don't drink alcohol at all, so I used the good stuff, A&W !!! :text-lol:
Anyway, just doing my own little part to remember Laura, and how her life has touched me. As you said, I think she has touched each of us differently, since we are all individuals, heaven knows I am far from an "ordinary" person in some respects, but I am cetainly not gifted in any special way like Laura was with her singing abilities.
I am glad that I re-discovered Laura 5 years ago, as her music, and the sweet spirit contained in her songs has brought me much joy.
I believe that each of us has a unique talent of some type, and it is up to each of us to find and develope our talent, as Laura did with hers. We will probably not be a celebrity like she was, but don't let that stop you from touching the lives of those around you with your unique gift. In other words, move forward, as Kathy said. We are living in very trying times for many reasons, remember that the world can always use more brotherly love.
I didn't know Laura personally, but from what I have heard she was a very friendly and loving, caring person, a true friend, not someone who did things for show. I believe we can all learn from her fine example. :happy-sunny:

We Love You Laura :romance-heartsthree:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Hi everyone,

The past week has been a wonderful one for Vince, Rhiannon, and I as we spent some vacation time in the Hamptons and also gathered with a very very special group of fans to celebrate Laura's life and artistry at the 2009 Laura Branigan Spirit Of Love Memorial Gathering. Words and photos alone cannot adequately describe the weekend that we shared together. There is just something that is so special when those that love Laura get together. There is a comfort in being with others who truly "get it" when it comes to her. Just like this forum, it is a place where friendships are fostered and furthered. It's a weekend that flies by all too quickly, and you wish you could somehow freeze time and extend it. All of us shall carry lots of wonderful memories.

We arrived home last evening after deciding to spend an additional day on Long Island on Monday - LOVE it out there, it's hard to leave! Tomorrow is Vince's birthday so getting things ready for that, and of course busy with all the catch-up stuff both personally and professionally after being gone for awhile. We'll be writing more about Spirit Of Love soon to share with all of you, and photos as well, as Vince is working on getting them ready to post.

A very special :text-thankyoublue: to our friend, Tommy Bayiokos, for his unwavering commitment to stand with us in continuing forth Laura's legacy, and his being there for every Spirit Of Love these past 5 years. He is a very special man, who is simply wonderful with the fans, always bringing something for everyone, and always taking the time to speak in Laura's memory. THANKS so much, Tommy, for accepting the honor of giving the toast for our special celebration of the 25th anniversary of Self Control!

We encourage those who attended the event to post their reflections, memories, and photos in this topic, as I know how meaningful it is for those fans who could not physically be with us, but certainly were with us in spirit. We :text-thankyoublue: so much for making Laura's memorial gathering so special to be a part of. :-D :clap: It doesn't get any better than hearing "I can't wait to come back"! :text-woo: What a wonderful testimony of how deeply Laura has touched lives, and the fun and warmth of the weekend together. :happy-wavemulticolor:

If you are unsure how to add photos to your posts here, please contact Vince at techsupport@laurabraniganonline.com, and he'll assist you. :techie-typing:

Well, I promised customers that placed online store orders while we were away that those would ship today, so I better get packing and down to the post office! :techie-hourglass: :animals-dogrun:

Take care, all. :greetings-wavingblue:

Kathy

Kathy and Vince

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
Hi:
This is my first posting. My wife and I were at the S.O.L. gathering last weekend and had the time of our lives. I have always been a fan, but my wife was quite unsure of what to expect from the weekend. Well, rest assured, she is now a fan for life. The people we met last Friday and Saturday were genuinely great individuals and very devoted fans. It was very uplifting to know there are others who feel about Laura the way I do, even though I never had the good fortune to meet her. Kathy's, Vince's, Jen's, Erica's and Tommy's insight into the person Laura was just drove home the feeling I get when I listen to her music.
Tommy's reflections and memories of Laura were very touching to say the least. I know I could never feel the pain in your heart, but rest assured Tom, you are not alone. She was a tremendous lady in all meaning of the word. Oh, and by the way, I am still kidding my wife about having her picture taken with a Greek God.
Once again, our weekend was one we will never forget, and we will be back again next year, God willing
Thanks,
The newest Fanigans,
Jim and Sharon Raboin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Hi Jim and Sharon,

:text-welcomewave: to the forum. It was a pleasure to meet you at SOL. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully seeing you again at SOL2010. :happy-wavemulticolor: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Mr. Bassman:
It was a pleasure getting to know you, Jon. I apologize for not getting your e-mail address. Maybe Kathy could help us out on that?
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:01 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

:text-goodpost: Jim & Sharon :clap:
Welcome to the Forum, and I look forward to hearing more from you both.

It sounds like everyone had an Awesome time, thats great!
I so much wanted to go this year, but a last minute trip to Peru for work, as well as things slowing down at work resulted in my not going this year.
I was thinking about all you folks there, as my post above explains.
I appreciate your insight into Laura, as I like you never met her, but I feel a closeness to her especially when I listen to some of her songs, and sing along with them, but I won't go into that right now! :music-listening:
So thanks again for posting this, and Please continue make more posts.
Catch you all later. :greetings-wavingyellow:

BraniFan (That is short for Branigan Fan, just to let you know, as I Hate Bran Flakes!!! :laughing-rofl: )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:23 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

jimr wrote:
Hi:
This is my first posting. My wife and I were at the S.O.L. gathering last weekend and had the time of our lives. I have always been a fan, but my wife was quite unsure of what to expect from the weekend. Well, rest assured, she is now a fan for life. The people we met last Friday and Saturday were genuinely great individuals and very devoted fans. It was very uplifting to know there are others who feel about Laura the way I do, even though I never had the good fortune to meet her. Kathy's, Vince's, Jen's, Erica's and Tommy's insight into the person Laura was just drove home the feeling I get when I listen to her music.
Tommy's reflections and memories of Laura were very touching to say the least. I know I could never feel the pain in your heart, but rest assured Tom, you are not alone. She was a tremendous lady in all meaning of the word. Oh, and by the way, I am still kidding my wife about having her picture taken with a Greek God.
Once again, our weekend was one we will never forget, and we will be back again next year, God willing
Thanks,
The newest Fanigans,
Jim and Sharon Raboin

Hello Jim!

Vince and I welcome you to the Forum! :-D :happy-wavemulticolor: We're so glad that you and Sharon joined us this past weekend at Spirit Of Love. :-D I know from our previous communications prior to the event that coming into things you were very excited about attending, but you weren't so sure about Sharon, as you were the LB fan. :confusion-scratchheadblue: On our way to New York I recall having a conversation with Vince about that very situation, and stating that I really hope that by the end of the weekend, after getting to know more about Laura the person than just her music via video footage and conversation with those who knew her, we would see Sharon transition from simply accompanying you to the event to becoming a bona fide LB fan. To hear Sharon on Sunday at our lunch stop excitedly speak forth on her own that that transition had taken place for her, well, it just doesn't get any better than that! :banana-dance: :text-woo: Each and every person that comes to that point is what living the LB legacy is all about. We're glad that you both had such a great experience at SOL. :happy-sunny: :text-thankyoublue: also for your very kind hospitality - providing snacks for our group (the smoked salmon was delicious!) and for treating Vince, Rhiannon, and I to dinner Sunday evening - all greatly appreciated! As I always say, there is no better feedback from the event than to hear our guests stating that they will be back - how wonderful for Laura's memory - and we look forward to both of you joining us again! :greetings-clapyellow: It was a pleasure getting to know you both.:happy-smileyflower:

We look forward to your participation here on the Forum! :smile:

A side note for curious minds :?:: I'm sure there are those of you who have taken notice that Jim and Sharon's last name is "Raboin", the same as our precious Danny :angelic-sunshine: that we lost over a year ago. When we received Jim and Sharon's registration for the event, their last name caught my eye immediately, so I had to ask if they were related to Danny. So, I emailed Jim and he told me that he was aware of Danny and his passing, but could not nail down a definite relationship to Danny, but that somewhere along the line there probably is. I contacted Danny's stepmom, Doreen, as I thought she would find it interesting that there was going to be another Raboin attending the memorial gathering, and she commented about a "new" Raboin taking over and about the family line coming down from Canada, which happens to be the same family info that Jim passed along to me. What a coincidence and many of you know well how much Danny lived for coming to SOL each year! And... we know that Danny liked to refer to himself as a "Fanigan", so seeing Jim close his post using that reference, well, it keeps things in the "family"... :-D

Kathy

Kathy and Vince

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:28 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Ma
Welcome Jim and Sharon! :text-woo: It was a pleasure to meet you both last weekend at the Memorial Gathering. It was cool meeting up some east coast people lol, since I'm originally from Massachusetts. I knew that Sharon was a fan of Laura's when we watched Automan, you went back to your room but Sharon stayed and watched the whole thing :-D Thanks for showing me where Dunkin Donuts was :lol: Now I know where to go.
I had a great time! It was nice meeting new people Alex from Russia, Jon from Canada, and Brian. Erika was nice seeing you again and thank you for coming. It wouldn't be the same without you. Tommy thanks for remembering me, it's been awhile since the first Gathering. Such wonderful memories I have, loved the beach where LB loved to go. Very peaceful and I could see why she went there. It was so nice to see people who've never meet,come together for a few days and have one thing in common Laura! Laura means something to everyone that came. We all have our stories, each one is special. I know that she lived up to her words of " I want to touch people's hearts, to get right down to their souls" and with each of us she did just that.
I know that I'm one of the Lucky Ones :-D that got to know Laura personally and I'm forever grateful for that. There are fans around the world who would have loved that opportunity. Laura loved you all, we were her otherhalf! She gave me lots of precious memories that will always be with me. She has a special place in my heart and my arm :-D She's with me everyday with my tattoo of her signature. I'm working on standing up straight my friend. I look forward to hopefully attending next year and maybe staying alittle longer to enjoy more.
Jen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Hi Jen:
What do you say if we go get some "coiffee"