It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: MA
LOVE the pictures!!!!!!!!!!! The best yet! I have to get to another SOL!!!! Hey..Flo looks great!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 am 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hi all,

There are many components that go into making a Spirit Of Love event great and successful, and those things cannot take place without the assistance of others. On that note, we would like to recognize and thank the following for partnering with Other Half Entertainment in that endeavor:

Hilton Garden Inn Islip/ MacArthur Airport Management and Staff - For their fine service and hospitality as our host hotel :handgestures-thumbsup: :text-thankyoublue:

Suffolk County Parks - Location of our Beach Memorial :happy-sunshine:

Tommy Bayiokos - For his faithful attendance and for the gifts he brings to each gathering we have held, as well as for his written piece for the event program, and for his words spoken to our group from the podium :clap: :text-thankyoublue:

Richie Fontana - For his written piece and photo for the event program :greetings-clapyellow: :text-thankyoublue:

Codi Jeffreys, Majic 100 FM - For her faithful on-air promotion of the event :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :flags-canada: :text-thankyoublue:

Daeida Magazine Staff - For their print promotion of the event :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-thankyoublue:

Erika Atsumi Foreman - For her work on the Trivia Contest, her production work on our special Self Control 25th anniversary video feature, and her work with us on the event t-shirt design :happy-wavemulticolor: :text-thankyoublue:

Steve Hidook - For his work with us on the event t-shirt design :smile: :text-thankyoublue:

Westhampton T-Shirts, James and Florence Flood and Staff - For their gracious hospitality during our visit :handgestures-thumbsup: :text-thankyouyellow:

Hampton Coffee Company - Great location for our Sunday lunch time as a group :happy-smileyflower: :text-thankyouyellow:

Our participants - MANY THANKS to all of you from the US, Canada, and Russia, who made the weekend so very special for Laura's memory, each other, and for Vince and I. :clap: :text-woo: :flags-usa: :happy-wavemulticolor: :flags-canada: :happy-partydance: :text-thankyoublue:

:text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: again to all mentioned above!!! :-D

And... all of Laura's faithful fans around the world who join with us to carry forth her legacy... You're the BEST!!! :text-woo: :happy-wavemulticolor: :clap: :text-thankyoublue:

As Vince and I look back upon these first five annual memorial gatherings for our dear Laura, we do so with a smile, as we have had an AWESOME time each year getting together with the fans in Laura's memory. :happy-smileyflower: There are no more shows that any of us can go to, nor a grave that anyone can visit, but as Tommy so touchingly points out each year, we do have Spirit Of Love as the place where we who love Laura can come together to remember her and celebrate her life. In deeply missing Laura as so many of us do, participating in the gathering is truly a cathartic experience, as one can be free to express how they feel about Laura amongst a group that doesn't write off how you feel, but who understand because they feel the same way and truly "get it" when it comes to Laura Branigan. :romance-grouphug: We all may arrive to the event as individuals, but each year we have left the event as a close-knit LB family. We are very happy to see so many friendships either blossom or deepen as a result of the gatherings. :-D Laura wanted to touch people's hearts and souls and anyone who has participated these last years in the Candlelight Memorial can testify to the grand extent to which she has and continues to as witnessed by the heartfelt words which are spoken and tears that are shed - tears of both the sorrow that Laura is no longer here with us and the joy of how much she touched each of us personally, and just how fortunate we are to have found her in this life and to have found others as well who feel the way we do about her. :romance-heartsthree:

Our event theme this year beyond the celebration of 25 years for Self Control was "Moving Forward", and although there are fans who for whatever reason have chosen to "move on" since Laura's passing, we are so glad and thankful that so many around the world choose to "move forward" along with us. :happy-smileygiantred: We're moving forward, together, for Laura and her legacy. :happy-wavemulticolor: A sincere thanks to those who have stayed steady and determined, and also to those who are new fans, particularly among our young generation, or have rediscovered Laura since her passing and have stepped into the gap and picked up the baton and are running with it for Laura. :happy-partydance: :happy-sunny: :happy-jumpgreen:

I must admit that for Vince and I it is a bit of a let-down when Spirit Of Love comes to an end each year, and I think I can safely speak the same for others who have attended. :sad: It's a weekend that in the end goes by all too quickly, full of lots of activities, and many emotions, just like Laura's songs. Again, we have an awesome time together. :text-woo: Fortunately, when one event is over, we find ourselves turning right back around and making preparations and arrangements for the next, and that means looking forward to the next year's event! :-D :banana-dance: :happy-jumpyellow:

Thanks again to all the fans who joined us for the 2009 Spirit Of Love Memorial Gathering. You truly are beautiful people and we are proud to call you our friends! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :-D :happy-wavemulticolor: We hope to see you return to a future event, like several of you already have! There is no better feedback for us than to hear an attendee say they will be back! :text-woo: :text-thankyoublue: Thanks also to those of you who could not be with us, but were thinking of our group throughout the weekend and who definitely were there in spirit. :text-thankyoublue: :happy-wavemulticolor: We hope you join us sometime! :smile:

Stay tuned everyone, as we will be announcing the dates for the 2010 Laura Branigan Spirit Of Love Memorial
Gathering SOON! :techie-typing: :smile: :greetings-wavingblue:

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Ma
Very well said kathy :-D I had a great time at this years Gathering and going to try my hardest to make it to next yrs. and maybe I'll even talk about Laura and she meant to me and will always mean to me. Maybe, telling the whole story about her telling me to stand up straight :smile:
The groups maybe small at the Gatherings but thats ok. Everyone there is there for one reason Laura Branigan and they all get her. I'm moving forward with you guys. Kathy, you and Vince already have my support. Thank you for all that you do in keeping LB's memory alive and well. I'm very thankful for your friendship and the new ones :happy-wavemulticolor: Laura maybe gone but she's not forgotten.
Jen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Beautiful writeup and pictures. Thanks Kathy and Vince for making the weekend so special. I have both the framed picture of Laura and the glossy photo that I won from the quiz hanging on my wall in the living room. Beautiful they are :-D I'll have to snap some photos of them and also of my car (you know, the one all my co-workers rolled thier eyes at). I'll get some good ones that you can post on the forum and like I said, can't wait for next year. :-D :banana-dance:

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:10 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
Us to, we're in. I want to buy Jen a coiffee!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
Today's Sharon's birthday. I got her a tube of Polygrip and an AARP membership!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Ma
Happy birthday Sharon :occasion-birthday: OK Jim I look forward to you buying me a coffee lol. Laura is powerful, she brings people together that have never met and new friendships form :greetings-clapyellow: Miss you LB

God Bless
Jen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

jimr wrote:
Today's Sharon's birthday. I got her a tube of Polygrip and an AARP membership!!!

Hope Sharon had a great birthday! :-D :occasion-birthday: We bet she loved those gifts! :lol:

Kathy, Vince, and Rhiannon

Kathy and Vince

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:00 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Yes, hope you had a great Birthday Sharon! :occasion-balloons:

Today happens to be my brother's Birthday. I hear this time of year has the highest concentration of Birthdays, so Happy Birthday day to all you folks! :occasion-birthday: :text-woo:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:09 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Hi everyone,

Each year we create an event program for the Spirit Of Love Memorial Gathering, and we would like to share with you here the written pieces that were contained in this year's program.

The first piece was submitted by Richie Fontana, who was Laura's drummer for tv shows and live performances from 1983-1985, and is featured in the Laura Branigan In Concert - Lake Tahoe VHS video, which was recorded during Laura's Self Control Tour. I asked Richie if he would like to contribute a piece for us, as it would be very special and fitting since we are celebrating the 25th anniversary of Self Control this year, and he was very honored to be asked. We are very grateful to him for his contribution, as well as providing us with a photo of he and Laura for inclusion in the program as well.

Remembering Laura
by Richie Fontana

I was privileged to be Laura's drummer during some of the highest points of her career, which made for many thrilling shows on the road. The "Self-Control" tour of 1984 was amazing. After the success of "Gloria" and "Solitaire," having to now perform "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" and "Self-Control" among other LB favorites, made for an exciting time for Laura and band. .

We used to hope that people got more than they bargained for when they came to an LB show. Laura's music was often categorized in the "dance" genre, however as many of you know, the shows really rocked.

One of the more memorable shows on the "Self-Control" tour was at the Universal Amphitheater in New Orleans, LA. This show happened to be a live national broadcast on the Westwood One Radio Network. That night, after we performed "Self-Control," the response from the audience was sooo loud, sooo long and sooo thunderous, that Laura turned and looked at me with a sort of wide-eyed look as if to say 'OH MY GOD! We couldn't believe it, the building was literally shaking! It was both wonderful, and for a moment a bit scary.

We had more fun that year then anyone should be allowed to. Laura was a delight to work with, and lots of fun too. Often times you had to be on your guard around her, because you never knew when you might get hit with a water balloon, or find one of your sneakers missing when you came out of the hotel swimming pool. She was always up to something which was all in good fun. One time, Ahmet Ertegun, CEO of Atlantic Records, came out to see one of the shows in Indiana. After the show he took us all to dinner, then retreated to his suite in the hotel. Laura then persuaded me to come with her up to Ahmet's room. I agreed and sheepishly went along. Ahmet let us in but was busy meeting with people in the other room. Then Laura started with the shenanigans. The next thing I knew was BAM, I got hit with a water balloon. She must have had one in her pocket and filled it up when I wasn't looking, so of course I retaliated getting water from the tap. Before we knew it the room was soaked from throwing water all over the place. Eventually Ahmet came out of the room, saw what was going on, and threw us out, it was hysterical. Well, at least it was for us, maybe not for Ahmet, lol. That has always been a fond fun memory for me, among others from that tour.

To know Laura Branigan was to love her. She was beautiful both inside and out, and she will always be in my heart, as she will in yours.

Love, Richie Fontana

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next is the annual piece that Vince and I write on behalf of Other Half Entertainment, The Laura Branigan Management And Production Company.

Moving Forward...
by Vince & Kathy Golik

Five years ago around this time, things were getting very busy around our house. Besides working on some school shopping for our daughter who was about to start kindergarten, we'd just started ramping up for Other Half Entertainment, our management/production collaboration project with Laura Branigan, moving beyond working for her as official webmasters and assistants. If someone had told me years ago that I'd have an opportunity to become actual close friends with a bona fide celebrity, I'd have told them they were crazy. But Kathy knew for years that there was something she needed to do for Laura, beyond buying tickets for shows. She had the fortitude to stick with the years of wondering if and when she'd ever get the chance, and when doors started opening, she stepped through them, willingly taking me with her.

That period of working to show a positive, uplifting image of Laura Branigan to the general public via the Web was, I think, a period of testing. For Laura, I believe it was a time for her to see that we were truly trustworthy and able to come through for her. For us, we knew that it was something we needed to do -- too many fans had lost track of Laura over the "silent years" prior to her gradual return to the business, and they and others around the world needed to know that Laura was still there, still cared about what people knew and felt about her, still loved her fans as her "other half", and still wanted to sing for them.

All this was beginning to reach a crescendo in the summer of 2004 with the formation of Other Half Entertainment, Laura becoming much more excited about utilizing the company to book more shows in a greater variety of locations, creating an online store to sell her music and a line of branded merchandise, working on the manuscript for a unique style of cookbook, and continuing work on the long-awaited return album. She'd found a renewed sense of fulfillment in her work, our friendship with her was growing closer, and she found love again in her personal life. We were all excited to be working together, and our house was getting very busy... when the tragic news came that she'd suddenly passed away.

Those first dark days after Other Half Entertainment sadly publicized the news of Laura’s passing was the beginning of a turning point for many people. It was a time to mourn, to reflect on what would have been if her life hadn’t suddenly been taken from us all, to celebrate what we did have remaining with us, the legacy of an incredible talent. Perhaps it was inevitable, however, that five years on we’d have seen a number of people who considered themselves “biggest fans” in the days prior to and for some time after her passing, turn aside, and either quietly or vocally say to other fans “I’m moving on” as if there’s nothing left to do for Laura, nothing left to celebrate, nothing more to say.

But thanks to the caring, the love, and the dedication of Laura’s close friends and a multitude of fans around the world, fortunately her passing wasn’t just the end of the story, wasn’t just a phase after which we’d all have to say “let’s leave it and move on.” We’re moving forward, together, for Laura and her legacy. Though our work for Laura may have changed in nature, it hasn't ever stopped. In the last five years, we've seen new compilations and reissues of Laura's music released. LB’s Boutique, the official online store, is the success that Laura envisioned it to be, shipping Laura Branigan CDs and other products worldwide. Special video productions have been created and other audio and visual projects are being worked on independently. With the advent of social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook, we’ve seen additional venues for her legacy and incredible story to be told across the world. We continue to receive and fulfill requests for various interview and discussion opportunities via the mass media, most recently including radio and print media. And though certain folks may have, either purposefully or otherwise, chosen to step aside from being an active voice for Laura’s legacy, many others have stayed steady and determined, and we’ve seen other, fresh new faces keen with interest for Laura’s life, her artistry, her down-to-earth simplicity, especially among our young generation.

Laura may not physically be here with us today, but it’s no cliché to say she’s here in spirit. The spirit of her music, her talent, her incredible life story lived with humility, simplicity, and deep love, all remain with us. And there will always be people around the world ready to pick up that spirit and run with it, ready to share the music with others, and take time to pause, wherever they may find themselves, and remember whether with a tear, a smile, a raised glass in toast, or a prayer, that special life that touched us all in unique ways, and continues five years on to move us forward.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finally, is the annual piece that Tommy Bayiokos submits. Tommy was Laura's percussionist and special man in her life. We are always grateful to Tommy for his written contributions and for his continuing commitment to partner with us in keeping Laura's memory alive and her legacy moving forward.

Self Control Reflections
by Tommy Bayiokos

Laura once impressed upon me her four biggest hits which were of course "Self Control", "Gloria", "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You", and "Solitaire". To my surprise, LB told me later on that the video for the tune “Self Control” was based on a real life actual event. So on this five year mark, we may remember all those gracious times that we all uniquely shared, and to celebrate a mega tune that defined her brilliant career and exemplified her musical virtuosity. I recall “Self Control” being performed and segued at the end of each show. I remember how Laura wanted space in the chorus sections and wanted "Con Gusto", meaning flavor in the verses while focusing on a "Lento" (slow) tempo of groove, while holding back. Words alone are not enough to describe how much I miss her, the times in East Quogue, the cooking, the fun drama, and her wonderful mom, Kathleen. The "Spirit of Love" serves as a sanctuary of honor for the LB legacy and her loyal Other Half as she sang for all of you with all her heart. God speed, and I thank you for all your sincere love for our dearest Laura and her eternal memory.

Our special THANKS again to Richie and Tommy! :text-thankyoublue: We're glad to count you both as friends, as well. :smile:

Kathy and Vince

Kathy and Vince

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter