It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
What Laura songs have had special significance or meaning for you during a particular time, memory, or occasion in your life?

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:41 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

The 1 song that has special meaning to me is "Shattered Glass". I can relate to that song based entirely on my own experiences. :cry:

Sad but true!

Danny

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:42 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Always a special subject for me, as most fanigans know. I remember posting about this a few years back. Let's see what I can say about it now...

"With Every Beat of My Heart" - Has got to be one song that will always be one of the most important songs. I remember when I was young, and living a great life as a child in the 80s, I heard that song, I think from an LP, or somewhere. I never thought of it much, except that it had the prettiest tune I had ever heard, or at least one of the prettiest. Anywho, after years, trauma, and bad things happened to me, growing up, I re-discovered Laura, and on the way, as I was having a ball, came this song. I immediately recognized it, in all it's glory, and it's been with me still. There's more, though. As I stated, bad things happened, and that happiness I endured as a child, that made me know happiness I know today, was absent for most of the life. So the point of the song, about someone, or something being gone (in my case, time, people, places, chances, etc) and how you miss it or wish it was still here. That sad sense of loss that hurts so bad inside...and as expressed to vibrantly by Laura in her voice and in her music-that touches me so much it hurts to listen to the song some times.
I think I told this story before, but shortly before Laura died, I was in my bedroom, and pulled out pictures of happier times, and better thoughts, and I lit candles. I just kind of went on impulse and turned on Laura, because she best expresses my feelings ( as everyone else!). As "With Every Beat..." played on, I clutched a photo of someone I miss... someone I wished were there with me so much...A friend. And as the song reached it's glorious chorus, I broke down. All that pain and suffering I was feeling surfaced and I couldn't stop bawling. And I could feel exactly what Laura was singing about.
...SO... That is why this song is so special to me. And after Laura passed, I repeated this move, and I cried for Laura all night...I could go on about how special this song is but I would start crying again! Thanks for reading this rambling of mine all over again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:08 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Louisiana
I guess "The Lucky One" suits me well in my life. Never sure of the song's meaning, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

its sad but it is "The best was yet to come".last days were verry hard to me,i hope that easter with my familly and friends will help.the girl who i had loved betrayed me and leave me.i think that i still love her,i can't forget her.its not only thing,all things in my life are going bad,i'm sad,can't sleep,only Laura's music give me hope,strength to fight with problems.

"Just a small town boy in the city lights
The best was yet to come
Then lonely days turned to endless nights
The best was yet to come "

i come from small town,now i live in city,now the nights are endless.the best was yet to come,and its gone:(

"You can cry yourself to sleep at night
You can't change the things you've done
You had it there then it slipped away"

i cry all nights,thinking about that i have done and dont have done

"I find myself thinkin' about yesterday
When you were and livin' in a dream
In the moment that it takes
You find you made your first mistake
Like the setting sun...
You turn around it's gone"

i thinking yesterday,livin a dreem,i search the first mistake

all Laura songs help me now,but this one says the best about my situation.take care, Happy Easter.i will try to sleep now.

Przemek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:55 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Przemek wrote:
its sad but it is "The best was yet to come".last days were verry hard to me,i hope that easter with my familly and friends will help.the girl who i had loved betrayed me and leave me.i think that i still love her,i can't forget her.its not only thing,all things in my life are going bad,i'm sad,can't sleep,only Laura's music give me hope,strength to fight with problems.

"Just a small town boy in the city lights
The best was yet to come
Then lonely days turned to endless nights
The best was yet to come "

i come from small town,now i live in city,now the nights are endless.the best was yet to come,and its gone:(

"You can cry yourself to sleep at night
You can't change the things you've done
You had it there then it slipped away"

i cry all nights,thinking about that i have done and dont have done

"I find myself thinkin' about yesterday
When you were and livin' in a dream
In the moment that it takes
You find you made your first mistake
Like the setting sun...
You turn around it's gone"

i thinking yesterday,livin a dreem,i search the first mistake

all Laura songs help me now,but this one says the best about my situation.take care, Happy Easter.i will try to sleep now.

Przemek

[font=Century Gothic]Hello Przemek,

I hope things are a little brighter for you. I think Laura's music has helped all of us get through various times in our lives. Over the years I have received many many communications from fans who have related how Laura's music has touched their lives and helped them make it through all sorts of difficult circumstances. May that be an encouragement to you.

Take care and Happy Easter. :)

Kathy
[/font]

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:06 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Right on , Kathy. If there is one thing that is a constant in Laura's music, it's that it's helped each of us at one point or another, deal with a very hard time. Gets us through.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Wow that is an easy one for me. Off of her debut Album Branigan, the song If You loved Me. In particular, the verse "If you loved me, You'd Give It One More Try". And I'm doing just that. It's just a little promise I made to Laura. I have a picture I'd like to scan (eventually) and post as Laura has had a profound impact on my life in a musical sense. I love her and miss her, though I never knew her in person, but I feel her presence with me as I journey on.

Bassman

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Thats a tough one for me, lots of Laura's songs have special meaning to me :smile:
When I listen to the songs off the Self Control album, I am reminded of driving cross country to university, lots of long days on the road.
Over You, helped me to get over a relationship breaking up, that was a few months after LB passed away, and I bought the 1995 greatest hits compilation.
I like Sanctuary, as I have a spot for Laura deep in my heart where no body can get to her to treat her badly, as so many did while she was alive. You BraniFans know what I mean, we each have a special love for Laura, it is one of the things that make her unique to us.
I read that each of Laura's songs has a little piece of her spirit in it, so I like to listen to lots of them to try to fit more of the pieces together. So far what I see is a friendly, very loving Lady, that went out of her way to help and share her love with others. Love is a strange thing, regardless of how much you give it away, you will never run out, your supply grows larger, and you enjoy giving it away more :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: TX
The Lucky One

For a long time I've felt a very closeness to this song, I can identify with it on two sides and the first time this came to be was one night when I was alone trying to come up with music for lyrics I had written. After hours of sitting there playing guitar and trying different approaches I had to take a break. I turned on my CD player and just listened to music. The very first song that came on with "The Lucky One" and I found myself just sitting there mystified, basically in a trance.

I guess in a way you could say I was in a dream state of mind, though now I don't remember much of the details of what I was thinking back then. We're in 2009 and this was back in the early 90's. One thing for certain, I do know this song holds a special place in my heart. If I were to ever want to perform a song from Laura's vast artistry, it would be that one. It moves me to this day, I love how it starts out so soft and easy and builds into the choruses with so much emotion and power. A lot of her songs are known for this, we could make an entire set list of them.

One of my other songs would have to be Ti Amo, another one that really hits home and holds a very special place in my heart. Love the feelings I get when I listen to it. First time I really listened to it, I was sitting at home and it was raining outside. Couldn't do much but sit at home and do nothing except play music and or watch TV. I chose to listen to a lot of different CD's I had, always love putting in a bunch of different disks and setting it to random. Again the first song that came on was one of Laura's and it was Ti Amo. I sat there and listened to it quietly and when it ended I replayed it at least another ten times.

Those are two of the most memorable moments in my life where Laura's music has touched me. There are others but none as much as these two. As many artists as I listen to, it's amazing how so few can affect me in the way some do. If I made a list of the top five most influential artist that have touched an emotional side of me like this, it would be easy to say Laura would be number one on that list.

Peace.....

-Rob

We live for the moment and that moment lives through you, lives through me...
Wander by, walking, looking around, less talking, eye to eye we meet yet again.
Friendly smile upon your face, for a moment in time, warm embrace...
Never once for that moment did I ever think I'd feel this way again.

I Live for today, tomorrow may never be...
Looking to the heavens to find you watching over me.
It must be the eyes, eyes of an angel..