It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Hold Me" album (1985)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
What are your thoughts on Laura's Hold Me album?

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:17 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

I love the whole cd now, but this is the 1 cd that took the longest time to grow on me. It's different from the music of Laura's 1st 3 cd's. :roll:

Danny

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

Hold Me is the one CD I am anxiously awaiting to be re-released so I can get a "CD". I have my original cassette and it is basically worn out. Worn out because I listened to it and listened to it and listened to it continuously, over and over after it was released. Spanish Eddie is a great song and a good follow up to Self Control but my top favorite and one of my top favorite Laura songs is I Found Someone. Hold Me, Maybe Tonight, Forever Young and Foolish Lullaby are some of my other top favorites from this CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:41 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Texas
Well, though it's not my favorite, my DW sniped me a CD off E-Bay, and it's not for sale.

TF1 :wink:

I know we'll reunite beyond time.

Time Strangers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

I am quite fond of "Hold Me" Every Laura album holds a specific place in my heart for many specific purposes. "Hold Me" is no exception. It was released at a time when the 80s new wave was really hitting big, so even now I can listen to it with the ears I had back then, and the music sounds as new and fresh as it did when I first heard it!

1. Hold Me - Has a more adult feel to it. This set the tone of the album and it was clear this album was Laura breaking away from the pop view and on to a more serious tone of music. I love this song.

2. Maybe Tonight - I had to warm up to this song, though it is very pleasant. Never said much to me except that it's a fun dancer track. But let's face it, Laura made everything she sang sound great!

3. Foolish Lullabye - This song is a pure example of what made Laura great. Her voice soars, the song is a beautiful yet sad one, and it's more of an adult song. The tone and the lyrics are definitely not that of a younger voice singing, but one with sage and maturity. It's also hard to listen to at times, for those of us who have been there...

4. Spanish Eddie - The hit of the album, and rightly so. This song is more or less an expression of hard times of one not so lucky character, and the way Laura sings to him, is amazing. The Music video was very appropriate, as it expressed both the song and Laura's viewpoint. I LOVE the harmony accapella part, and would like to arrange my own performance of it one day!

5. Forever Young - This is the "With Every Beat of My Heart" of the album for me. It's hard to listen to this song because it makes you look back in your life to when things were simpler, and you were happier, perhaps. There is a ray of hope in it, as Laura sings about still having time to do more, to live more. In a way, I think she is still speaking to us through the song, letting us know that we can rejoice in her memory and that we have the gift of life to keep on living. Splendid. Wish it were released as a single. It would have been HUGE.

6. When I'm With You - This was another great dance tune, in the vein of "Satisfaction" from the previous "Self Control" album, but the former had more bite to it. This is more melodic and focused. A song on it's own!

7. I Found Someone - I don't care what people say, her version is the VERY best. The guitar solo/riff is unbeatable, and Laura's voice couldn't speak any more volumes. A tear jerker and an upbeat poetic statement in one - this song is a winner!

8. Sanctuary - This is a ballad. Pure and simple. But ballads were what the 80s were all about, and Laura new this well. So well in presentation that it became one of my other favorites from the album. The music sounds like water on glass... clear, sharp, shiny, and full of light!

9. Tenderness - This song would have done well later in the decade, and I'll admit, I still don't know what I think of it. It's a great pop song, and Laura's voice sure made it better than anybody else would have, but as I stated, I guess I just never warmed up to this one as much. Do like listening to the extended remix I have on LP tho!'

10. When The Heat Hits the Streets - I always take the last song on the album to be the best, because it brings the album to a close, and sums it all up. Any ending song has to be triumphant. This is no different. This song, featured in the company sponsering Chrysler commercials has vivacity, and ebulliance. It's both a dance song and a rocker to boot. It takes a more positive look at the night life painted so poetically in her biggest hit, "Self Control" and is just a gem. I love the reference to losing yourself in the neon lights. It's nightlife just like you like it, or at least, the way I do! I think it's my favorite song of the album. Closers usually are!

I would love to hear if there were any non album tracks to this album. I'm sure they were as great as the album itself is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

I really love this album, is the only album not in CD in my collection of Laura's albums.I wait very prompt re-release.
My favorites tracks: Foolish Lullabye, Hold Me, Maybe Tonight , Spanish Eddie, Sanctuary...but well, all tracks, the album is AMAZING!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Regarding the ellusive Hold Me album, my first comment is: I WANT IT...BAD!!! I am hoping Santa will bring it for me! :D (any secret santa's out there!!!) :lol:

My favorites are Hold Me, Spanish Eddie, Forever Young, I Found Someone, and last but not least Sanctuary. I am still warming up to the other songs.
When I heard I Found Someone on utube, I immediately liked it because I was familiar with Chers version. Laura's is better, I love it, so much feeling in laura's voice. Spanish Eddie rocks (it was the last LB song I heard on the radio). Forever Young, I can never tire of watching LB sing this song (It was the song that calmed me down today). Hold Me has a nice beat, and LB moves well to it on the live TV video. Sanctuary is a song I can listen to 5 times in a row and not tire of it, like Cajestic said, it is like running water, it just flows along (the opposite of say Shattered Glass).
Thats it thats all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:49 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
I love this one, but then each one of Laura's albums are equally precious to me. The fact that this is probably her most sought after album is why I started a collection and currently have 6. More, I must have mooooore :laughing-rofl: But like Branifan777 said, just watch out for the silent dobermans. I need to up my collection of singles and I really want posters too. Large ones, like 24" x 36". Oh well, a-hunting I will go :banana-dance:

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:32 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Jeepers Murphy there LowC :o 6 copies of "Hold Me", no wonder it is hard to find :laughing-rofl:
Did you like win the Lottary and not tell us! Good thing you have those barkless Dobermans!
So, you never answered my question about them liking raw steak or not. :laughing-rolling:

Just joking around there. I am still searching for Hold Me in all the hole in the wall pawn shops I can find, not quite sure what that is doing for my rep., but so what, Laura's music is worth it! :music-listening:
I did manage to find a CD of the "Laura Branigan" album, glad I bought it as it has the words, and some good dedications etc. inside it. :banana-dance:

Oh elusive original "Hold Me" album, Where are you hiding......I WILL find you! :banana-dance: Along with the Fountain of Youth and the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow, and a Ball Stud Chrysler HEMI would be nice also! (1 of 3) :laughing-rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
BraniFan777 wrote:
Jeepers Murphy there LowC :o 6 copies of "Hold Me", no wonder it is hard to find :laughing-rofl:
Did you like win the Lottary and not tell us! Good thing you have those barkless Dobermans!
So, you never answered my question about them liking raw steak or not. :laughing-rolling:

Just joking around there. I am still searching for Hold Me in all the hole in the wall pawn shops I can find, not quite sure what that is doing for my rep., but so what, Laura's music is worth it! :music-listening:
I did manage to find a CD of the "Laura Branigan" album, glad I bought it as it has the words, and some good dedications etc. inside it. :banana-dance:

Oh elusive original "Hold Me" album, Where are you hiding......I WILL find you! :banana-dance: Along with the Fountain of Youth and the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow, and a Ball Stud Chrysler HEMI would be nice also! (1 of 3) :laughing-rofl:

Let me put it to you this way B777........GULP.........P'TOO-Y........BURP :laughing-rofl:

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time