It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:58 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: CA
Apologies if this is a sensitive or controversial subject (I certainly don't wanna get into a political or religious debate or to upset anyone!), but since a big portion of Laura's audience are LGBT, I just wondered if she ever made any public statements about her views on it?

Had it not been for that fateful day and if she were still with us now... just observing what a kind-hearted person she was, I could totally see her giving speeches or tweeting/making youtube videos and stuff, being a supportive voice encouraging gay youth (and adults) that there's hope out there with someone to turn to, and they aren't alone, etc.

Even during her final years, gay marriage (and homosexuality period) was still not really accepted that much in mainstream America, but in the last 5 years, many more people are likely to feel okay publicly coming out in support of it.

Last edited by EightiesKid82 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:42 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hi Jesse,

Laura was a big supporter of the LGBT community, who has and continues to be a huge part of her fan base. She very publicly participated in many LGBT events throughout her career, AIDS benefits, etc., and credited the LGBT community for being a large source of support for her during her career from the beginning.

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: CA
LauraBraniganOnline-OHE wrote:
Hi Jessie,

Laura was a big supporter of the LGBT community, who has and continues to be a huge part of her fan base. She very publicly participated in many LGBT events throughout her career, AIDS benefits, etc., and credited the LGBT community for being a large source of support for her during her career from the beginning.

Kathy

Thanks for the info.. aw, that's cool, sounds just like her! :-D I was a bit worried about bringing it up since I realize issues like this have a deep division of beliefs. The early to mid 80s was probably the very beginning of LGBT issues coming into public consciousness and acceptance. In a way, she was a pioneer and ahead of her time being such an icon in the lgbt community.

This reminded me... didn't you love last year's Glee episode where they sang "Gloria"? I'm sure if Laura were still with us, she probably would've guest starred on that episode and perhaps sang a couple of her hits with the cast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 pm 
Platinum
Platinum

State/Province: MAssachusetts
Hi Eightieskid82 one of Laura's last shows was at a Machine a gay bar here in Boston Laura performed may of her top hits as well as a few new songs from her last recordings I was fortunate enough to be at the show and loved hearing Laura sing" I know you by heart" after the show Laura took time out to sign autographs and talk to her fans Laura always referred to her fans as her other half she was a very kind person who loved her fans as much as we loved her .Laura performed at many Gay/Lesbian events and was always very supportive