It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: CA
I think Self Control being in GTA Vice City perhaps gave her a small resurgence in her last couple years. Does anyone know if she knew about it and what her thoughts were? I certainly hope it made her happy to know there were (then) modern kids/teens who suddenly appreciated one of her songs. :)

As a teen I vividly remember people dissed the 80s during the mid 90s to very early 00s. Not to say they suddenly no longer did (some people still do), but there was a change in attitude around 2002-03 when the 80s gradually started becoming "retro cool". I actually never played it myself (I never moved beyond the NES and old arcade games), but I was so happy that a new generation (including mine lol) was being introduced to 80s music I loved.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:04 am 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

State/Province: dolnośląskie
Maybe GTA Vice City is from 2002, but it's still my favourite game, next to Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven from 2001. Second one had a great story by the way! I am 13 years and I know Laura from GTA VC. I heard her first time how about 2009-2010. It wasn't special, driving, walking, doing missions etc. But when I turned it on in 2012, when I was older, I said only "wow". Great soundtrack (300 songs from 80's like "Billie Jean" by MJ, "Self Control" by Laura or Hall & Oates "Out the Touch".) storyline based on Scarface and Miami Vice (But it was something new, main "hero" of this game was called Tommy Vercetti and only some actions from movies and serials was in this game, almost all was new) etc. It was great! Maybe someone can not agree with this, but I think that VC was the best R*'s game. New games are just making for money. They had only beatiful graphics and that almost all. It's good that some producers are still doing good games, for example Rockstar Games, 2K Cech or Nintendo.

Hey, I would like to play something on NES! I like old games, but I played them only on web browser. My farher's Pegasus (Polish fake NES, very popular in 90's) not works :/

"Shattered Glass" and "Never in a Million Years"... <3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:33 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
It's a fact that many who did not grow up with Laura's music and many young people of today have discovered Laura and her music for the first time through their exposure to GTA Vice City.

That being said, when Laura and I were doing the "Ask Laura" fan questions together a few months before her death in 2004, a fan asked if she had any reservations about her material ("Self Control") being used in a violent video game, and Laura replied (transcript found on the website) with the following:

"Yes, and I didn't know about it. I was told by several people. I don't think video games that are violent have any place for kids, and I don't know how my song got on there."

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 am 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

Well, I must say, that in GTA Vice City Stories (Vice City prequel) for old PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable only in radio station "Flash FM" you can hear "Gloria".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

LauraBraniganOnline-OHE wrote:
It's a fact that many who did not grow up with Laura's music and many young people of today have discovered Laura and her music for the first time through their exposure to GTA Vice City.

That being said, when Laura and I were doing the "Ask Laura" fan questions together a few months before her death in 2004, a fan asked if she had any reservations about her material ("Self Control") being used in a violent video game, and Laura replied (transcript found on the website) with the following:

"Yes, and I didn't know about it. I was told by several people. I don't think video games that are violent have any place for kids, and I don't know how my song got on there."

Kathy

That is true, and I actually agree. (Plus, I'll take Rad Racer or any simple old school arcade driving game anyday!) I worked at a video store back then and I vividly remember like 8 year old kids in 2003 renting GTA and way worse ones. I think NOW it doesn't seem so bad in retrospect, since teenagers and even little kids of that time are (young) adults.. but when it was brand new, I could imagine it being a little unnerving.

What's interesting is the longevity those games have had. Even though it's some years ago now, I see tons of GTA mentions in the youtube comments on other 80s songs they used, like Running With the Night and Out of Touch. I was happy to see "Self Control" has 54 million views in 4 years...pretty impressive for an 80s song! I bet lots of those are GTA fans, plus other fans who discovered or rediscovered her after her death.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:50 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

A_guy_from_Poland wrote:
Maybe GTA Vice City is from 2002, but it's still my favourite game, next to Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven from 2001. Second one had a great story by the way! I am 13 years and I know Laura from GTA VC. I heard her first time how about 2009-2010. It wasn't special, driving, walking, doing missions etc. But when I turned it on in 2012, when I was older, I said only "wow". Great soundtrack (300 songs from 80's like "Billie Jean" by MJ, "Self Control" by Laura or Hall & Oates "Out the Touch".) storyline based on Scarface and Miami Vice (But it was something new, main "hero" of this game was called Tommy Vercetti and only some actions from movies and serials was in this game, almost all was new) etc. It was great! Maybe someone can not agree with this, but I think that VC was the best R*'s game. New games are just making for money. They had only beatiful graphics and that almost all. It's good that some producers are still doing good games, for example Rockstar Games, 2K Cech or Nintendo.

Hey, I would like to play something on NES! I like old games, but I played them only on web browser. My farher's Pegasus (Polish fake NES, very popular in 90's) not works :/

That is true, I never realized that it's pretty much a video game version of Scarface! Have you heard of the old cop show called Miami Vice? Seems like so much 80s pop culture took place in Florida!

Oh yeah, my dad and I used to play those all the time with my friends from school and stuff when I was a kid.. our favorites were Zelda, some of the Mario Bros ones, Metroid, and some golf games. Think I still have it in the garage but haven't played in years!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

Yes, I watched this serial one time when I was younger. In Poland it's called "Policjanci z Miami". It means "Policemen from Miami". I can't find it in TV today :/

My dad had also the "Jaguar" console, but he sold it when I was 3 years old.