It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:56 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: CA
Seems like Laura was on fire from 1982-84 and then gradually kinda faded from the pop mainstream after the Self Control singles (though "Shattered Glass" in '87 was a mini comeback). Shame because not only are there so many underappreciated songs on Hold Me and afterwards....but she seemed like such a classy/sweet lady and should've remained a superstar as much as anyone.

Even though "Spanish Eddie" is a great synthpop/dance song, I think they should've released "Forever Young" as the 1st single instead. That's such a beautiful slow song that really shows off her vocals and could've taken her music in a new direction. It's really synthy but timeless sounding too, and if it got to a be a big hit I could see it being one of those 80s ballads still getting airplay on soft rock stations now.

Plus, she'd never had a major hit ballad up til that time (Solitaire kinda starts off a ballad and gets more uptempo rockish at the end) so maybe people kinda unfairly pigeonholed her as a dancepop singer and weren't giving her new material a chance as much by then? By 1985 Madonna was huge with Material Girl, and by the very late 80s newer singers like Paula Abdul and Rick Astley were taking over with that kind of music.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: AL
actually, she did have a ballad hit with "how am i supposed to live without you," which hit number 1 on the a/c charts. i think hold me didn't really receive the promotion it needed with no music videos for singles "hold me" and "I found someone." while "forever young" was a great song, it probably wouldn't have faired well being that close to alphaville's version the year before just as "deep in the dark" wasn't released as a single in the us due to the after the fire version of "der kommisar" being released as a single. I always thought "hold me" was one of Laura's best songs and don't know why it's never been on one of her hits compilations. to me her career should have stayed at the top but trends change.