It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too long!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:10 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: NSW
Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to see that there's still some activity around at LBO! I'm sorry for neglecting this forum for so long.
I have recently 're-discovered' LB's music, and while I'm a little ashamed :oops: that I have not listened to her music for so long, I have had a great week or so listening to the albums and re-watching the old clips. I particularly enjoyed the 1984 Tahoe concert and the 1996 Vina Del Mar Festival where I had completely forgotten the strength of her voice!
It all started when I was listening to my music on random (a rare occurrence, as I usually 'binge' on one particular artist at a time, without listening to anybody else) and LB's "Lucky" came on. It's not a song that I had really appreciated, even when I first discovered her music, but I really enjoyed it, and others such as "Please Stay, Go Away" as well as the usual hits and fan-favourites.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and while I have been busy with exams and university preparation, I admit that this has not been the reason for my absence on the forum. Rather, simply that I had forgotten the talent of Laura. But when I first listened to her music again, I had that great feeling where a piece of music is linked to a memory, and hearing "Lucky" and others reminded me of a few years ago when I was just beginning my LB obsession and had CDs and DVDs coming in the mail every week. There was always something new to discover! Though I may have discovered all of LB's music, at least I can re-discover it every now and again!

Best wishes!
George

Post subject: Re: Too long!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
Hi GW95! Good to hear from You again! It has been a lot going on during your absence e.g. on YouTube, or Laura's Facebook - still new joiners :-D

I remember my affection to Laura as it still goes on, I try to finalise completing my LB collection. I still can find new things about Laura e.g. last I found her "Backstage" film on Tube. More? Just found her "Silver Dreams" album with such magnificent songs like "Don't Close Your Eyes", "Silver Dreams" or "I'm just warming up" and "When :romance-heartsthree: " Mor than this, I found some rare songs as she was singing with Meedow :)

There is still something new to discover about Laura like IMHO 2 of her best songs "Memories" or "A much much greater Love" I love them.

Take care

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Good to hear from you again GW, been quite a while!
I fondly remember those days a few years back when us folks in Branigan's Brigade would comment back and forth on YouTube about LB and her great music! :music-listening:
Things always change with time, glad to hear you are getting set to go to university, thats a big step in life.
I want to thank you for helping to put lots of Laura's vids back onto youtube, on your 2 channels, they are great!
I also take a break from Laura's music sometimes, that way it seems more special when I come back to it again.
I expect I will always listen to Laura's songs throughout my life, as I find her songs to be inspiring and uplifting. Hearing her sing them reminds me of the sweet loving, caring lady she was. I have a deep respect for Laura that will never go away. I know she wasn't perfect, none of us are, but from all I have heard she was a person worth knowing.
Take care for now GW, and hope to hear from you again.

BF777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hello again to you both!
I'm glad to hear that there has been action on the 'LB front'!
Thanks for the kind words and I remember that the interaction both here on LBO and on YT were important to helping us all (I think) stay obsessed with Laura's music, as there is a small but loyal fanbase to discuss her music and any new discoveries we may come across.
I agree with the comments about taking breaks from LB music. That time allowed me to discover many other musicians, both Australian and International. Even Laura would want her listeners to maintain a balance, :lol: .
If I may shamelessly promote some great Australian music (there's more than just Olivia NJ and John Farnham in our country!), I have recently (re)discovered the music of Missy Higgins.
In my earlier post I wrote about music being connected with memories of earlier times - well, having heard this song on the radio recently (Missy Higgins - Scar) I was brought back to a primary school excursion and the bus ride to Sydney at a time when this song was a really big hit on radio!

By the way, speaking of Australia :lol: , I have also found 'Backstage' on YouTube again, and have been watching it now and then (the only copy I have is in terrible quality).
Kind Regards,
GW95

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:07 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Glad to hear things are going well down under!
I also listen to a bunch of other bands and singers, but usually have Laura's tunes somewhere in the mix :music-listening:
I have found a few singers on YouTube that I like, Lisa Lavie who does mainly cover versions for youtube is one.
Laurell Hubick is another, she is pretty young (early 20s) and is from Vancouver BC. Her youtube channel is "Laurellmusic", and her new song "Unbreakable" seems to be getting lots of views. I bet you younger folks will like her songs. I also like how some of her songs are totally different than anything I have heard before.
So give Lisa and Laurell a listen! :text-woo:

(Guess I just like female singers who's name begins with L ) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Hi Everyone,

I too, have not been on in a while. My job (both of them actually) have been the major reason. It has been a very busy, long, and cold winter. Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but new management changes at work happened in August of last year and my (now former) boss who hired me got fired and I was given a new warehouse managerial position. Then in mid March, I was transferred to manager of the main shipping division of the new distribution center, managing the finances, maintenance of the delivery vehicle fleet, and so on. I'm still working 11 hour days, but it is better than 14 hours. I couldn't make it to SOL2013 and can not again for 2014, finances and time constraints being the reason.

I enjoy Laura's songs and listen to them regularly. This past Thursday (April 10) marked the 2 year anniversary of my dear Barley's passing. I still have not adopted his brother yet due t my long hours at work.

I hope everyone is doing well and I will try my best to check in more often.

Take Care

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:31 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hi there Low C :greetings-wavingyellow:
Glad to hear from you again, and that all is going fairly well. You sound to be moving up in the world of warehouse management!
I agree, it wouldn't be fair to have a new pet when you are away so much, though a Goldfish might not mind it :lol:
Our cats get upset when we get home past their feeding time, so pets are definite responsibility.
I can't make it to SOL this year either due to finances, and family visiting from far away during that time, and I really had hoped to make it this year.
Anyway, take care, and have a mini vacation this summer when you can :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:29 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

It sounds like everyone here is doing well, even if it has been almost a year since we all last spoke.
LowC, I hope those work days are getting shorter, and hopefully you have had many more promotions since you last updated us - I myself am continuing to do volunteer work while at university in Canberra. I'm sure I've said it before but I have spent many years doing community radio, but I have since gotten a (very) part time job at a commercial station and I'm also volunteering with St John Ambulance, which works to assist the government-funded emergency services here and we go to large events, which is very fun (plus we get free entry to eg. concerts, haha). I also involve myself heavily with Federal and Local Politics here in Canberra, Australia and also recently spent a month in New Zealand campaigning for our sister party over there (unfortunately we weren't very successful, oh well).

Barteek, BF777 and everyone else, I hope you are all doing very well, and I look forward to an update from you!
Best wishes, and an LBO-visit-a-day keeps the doctor away!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:22 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Great to hear from you GW, sounds like you are doing well there, good to hear.
We put on a metal roof this summer (one of the cheaper versions available, as some of the fancy ones cost BIG bucks). My wife's brother and I put it on ourselves over the course of 5 days, what a heck of a job! We put it on over top of the shingles, so perhaps that increased the difficulty a bit having to screw the wood down first.
But it is good to know that we shouldn't have any more dripping in our living room any more! I decided to spend the extra and go with metal, as I have no intension of replacing the roof in another 15-20 years, getting too old for that! I am still feeling the effects on my knees, of all the crawling around on the roof, hopefully it will go away soon. Just some stiffness etc., getting older I guess! :oops:
Doing well here, and looking forward to getting Laura's newest album release.
Glad to hear you are still doing the radio scene there, I wish you all the best. My brother had an early morning hockey show on the radio a number of years back, he said it was fun.
Hope to hear from you and the other folks again soon.
Take care.

BF777

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:20 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Hey everybody, sorry for not being around lately. Since I last posted (I can't believe it was April :oops: ) we have undergone several management changes at work, as well as staff, so the 12 hour days have been continuing. We hired a second warehouse assistant manager, but this guy is a dud, and is always missing time, so the pressure is on me. We've also gotten bigger, and I've been doing all the payroll now as part of my new duties. I'm also doing a lot for my church. We just hired a new minister, and my choir director, who is a very good friend of mine, has a few projects that she wants me to help her with, so I've got a full schedule. Also, I'm a session member at church (also known as an elder) so I've been busy calling communicants letting them know about all the events, which there are plenty of these days. Also, while we were without a minister, I planned and led 3 church services in the summer. Getting by on 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night is quite common. Saturday is my only real day off, and I usually spend that sleeping :roll: So you can see why I have not been around. I haven't given up on Laura. I just bit off more than I can chew :shock:

I didn't forget Laura's birthday or the 10th anniversary of her passing. I listened to her CD's and watched her videos. I wish I could have been at SOL 2014 :sad: Nothing new or interesting has been happening for me aside from that, and it's time for a serious change. I used to post every day on the forum, and now, it's like I dropped off the face of the earth or something. Time sure does go by fast when you're not looking. I'm going to make it a point to check in at least once a week at the very minimum. I sure do miss hearing all the interesting discussion and new topics. Please do let me know how things are with everyone.

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time