It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:17 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hey BraniFans!

I had the monumentous opportunity to meet director William Friedkin at a screening out here in Los Angeles. There is a place that I am involved in, volunteering, and generally spreading the word about 35mm screenings, the Aero Theatre. They were screening "Sorcerer" and Monsieur Friedkin was there signing copies of his book for fans. Well, I have always admired his work, and was sure that no one would be asking him about Laura and Self Control. As great as they are, L.A. is more a place about Friedkin's "French Connections" and "Exorcists" !!!

I went up to him, and shook his hand, introduced myself, and offered kind words of how his work impacted me. Then, after being rushed out of the way by cutthroat fans, I edged my way toward him, and told him "Oh! Mr. Friedkin!" "Yes?" he replied.
"I wanted to tell you how much I LOVE your work with Laura Branigan on her "Self Control" video!"

He looked up at me and exclaimed "Oh! She was so fantastic! Such a great voice. We had a lot of fun." He paused, and then added, "What a tragedy." I simply nodded, and went my way. I wanted to talk more about it with him, but he was busy with the sold out crowd for the picture.

But it was worth mentioning, and his energy regarding the subject was terrific. HE genuinely seemed proud of his work on SC, and also seemed more so, in his regarding Laura. If I see him again, I will pump him for more info!

Caj.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
Oh man, it is so nice to hear that after so many years people who worked with Laura are still remembering her and the work with her explaining it in such great words. God, I didn't know her in person but I can imagine, that she was such a fantastic person with great positive attitude :-D Thanks Caj

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hey Caj!

Thanks so much for sharing your story! So nice to read his wonderful comments about his work with Laura. Interestingly one of the pieces we are fortunate to have in our OHE archive collection is the RIAA Gold Record Award for "Self Control" that was presented to him, and it can be seen on display at the Spirit Of Love Memorial Gatherings.

Catch you later!!

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Great to hear another person say how nice it was to work with Laura.
It does seem that people who met her don't forget her, and so far I have only read good things about Laura (disregarding her practical joke side!!! :text-lol: )
Hope you are doing well there in Cali Cajestic, best of luck with the films.
Hope to hear more from you here on the forum :greetings-wavingyellow: