It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm 
Debut Album
Debut Album

State/Province: NY
Including the remixes and the other unreleased Silver Dreams songs? I would so buy it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hello,

A goal we have had from the outset is to see ALL of Laura's albums back in physical print, and we will continue to advocate to that end. We are confident that will happen in time, and in expanded form is the ideal.

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: AL
I would love to see this too, but the chances of it having anything else from Silver Dreams is highly unlikely due to the legal mess tying those songs up. The only reason some of them appear on Branigan is because they were previously released. This is also why it contains the 7" and 12" versions of "Looking Out for Number One," but not the lp mix. I would personally like to see some live material released. I know a radio show was taped from one of her Branigan 2 concerts where she preformed songs like "Deep in the Dark" and "Imagination" that would be great to hear. As for other versions from the album, the only ones I know of are the long version of Solitaire from the 12" single and the "short version" of "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You?" from the promo 45.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
I personally hunt down every possible single of Laura - the fact is that most every remix/special edition song was published only on vinyl records, mostly on B-sides. But it is not hard to find a good quality record of Laura even today.

IMO it would be great to follow the trail of releasing "Self Control" and made other Laura's albums extended with those mentioned bonus tracks. My type: Branigan 2 / Hold Me.

According to the Silver Dreams albums I read somewhere that there are some people who came in possession of some previous tracks that Laura sung, surprisingly even for her, but I think it is rather impossible that WMG allows to re-release them. I mean they'd already decided then that the songs won't be released.

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

Unfortunately WMG didn't make the decision on the release of Silver Dreams. Laura's management that she was under at the time if the recording did. During the process, she changed management teams because she felt they were not acting in her best interest. To retaliate, the former. Management team filed a breach of contract suit against Laura and blocked the release of the album. Until someone gets this order overturned, there is no way to release the album. The songs on Branigan reissue had already been released either commercially or promotionally and do not fall under this block.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:50 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
The lawsuit filed by Laura's former manager Sid Bernstein in 1983 had nothing to do with "Silver Dreams" not being released as Laura's first album. That decision was solely made by Atlantic Records and Ahmet Ertegun, long before that time, and was based upon the mixed results they perceived from those initial recording sessions. They did not feel that they had captured the style that best suited Laura, and they did not sense there was a standout track that had breakout hit potential.

"Branigan" was recorded, then released in March 1982, all while Bernstein was still Laura's manager, and in May of that year, right before "Gloria" was released as the second single, Bernstein was fired, and subsequently filed the lawsuit the following year.

In reference to the bonus tracks placed on the "Branigan" expanded edition reissue CD, the additional 5 tracks that WMG found in their database, that were subsequently confirmed in the vault and added to the CD in mid-stream of production ("Fool's Affair," "When," "Tell Him," "Looking Out For Number One" (7" version), and "Love Me Tonight"), were the easiest to add for the fact that those 5 tracks were all set to go as part of Rhino's digital-only, High-5 series that ran 5 or so years ago. The masters for those tracks had been located, digitized, and remastered; then right before the 5 track set was to be released, Rhino cancelled the entire High-5 series of digital releases. Having previously received this information first-hand from a songwriter/producer friend of mine who was a consultant on that particular Branigan Hi-5 set, when I was initially told while working on the "Branigan" reissue that there were 5 pre-"Branigan" album tracks that WMG was waiting to confirm that had been found along with the "Branigan" masters, I expressed my hunch to both our contact at WMG and to Gold Legion that the tracks would most likely be the 5 that had already been prepared for the scrapped Hi-5. When we did receive confirmation from WMG on the 5 tracks, that was proven to be true. My friend's guess is that once Rhino had transferred/digitized the masters of the 5 tracks, they simply placed them in the vault next to the "Branigan" masters, and that's how Warner found these "additional tracks" when retrieving the "Branigan" masters for the reissue CD.

We have not received any information from WMG, and we had not from Laura either, from discussions that we had with her in reference to the "Silver Dreams tracks, that there is any court order associated with the Bernstein lawsuit that blocks the release of any tracks which Laura recorded. Atlantic paid for those recordings, owns the rights to them, and therefore makes any decisions regarding release and licensing.

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

Thank you the information Kathy. The information I had was mostly based on the wikipedia article on Silver Dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
Wow, these are quite interesting informations how WMG has found the additional 5 songs.

Considering the "Silver Dreams" album I thought, that they cancelled this production due to not so much good feedback from the first released singles...

Anyway, considering Berenstein, a fan posted a link on Laura's Facebook to an press article, describing this issue and it was nothing compared to the "Silver Dreams" album like Kathy said. Berenstein was simply unhappy with the decision of releasing him from his role. Link to the article: http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 98,00.html

Thanks Kathy for clearing this :-D

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight