It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
Hi There,

i spent the last days searching informations about Laura in the internet and visited the Atlantic Records website and didn't actually find anything about Laura Branigan (exept 2 videos). Not a single note or remark abut her...

Don't know how the things going or went out there between Laura and her Label but even in the bookmark "Legacy Artist" not to put a single word about Laura is for me absolutely shocking... I mean she sung for them over 15 years, making many memorable songs, making a part of their history...

Maybe Kathy or Vince could provide a post about that. Thank You in advice.

Bartek

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:56 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

I hope I don't step on any toes by commenting here, as this is just my opinion based on what I have read on the internet or comments on Youtube etc.
Anyway, here I go tiptoing through a minefield!!! :|
Laura was a very nice person, and as the old saying goes, the good guy doesn't always finish first. Another saying would be, life isn't fair (that one is true beyond a shadow of a doubt!) I could be wrong, but I don't think Laura was the type to blow her own horn excessively, unlike some other artists. She let her great voice do the "talking" for her. Thus she never got as much recognition as those that demanded the limelight, but that is not to say that she didn't deserve it!
The surprising lack of information about Laura in places where one would expect it does seem to be a strange thing, I have no explanation about why that would be the case.
I have more thoughts on this subject, but I choose to keep them to myself, at this time.

Change of subject.
I was watching "The Voice" on TV a few nights back when the thought came into my head about how Laura would do on a show like that, if she was born 30 years later. I bet she would do very well as a competator on such a show, she certainly had the great voice for it! :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Wielkopolska
Hi BF!

I made my own researches on the web, finding different informations and opinions and judged them for myself. It is only my own opinion!

It is clear and nothing can change it, that Laura caused herself "some trouble" ironic with her greatest hit SC, actually with the vid to this song. It was a big rumour about this in the media and Laura was, to say it "politically correct", given less air time on that times most popular music tv as others..

Her rc didn't do anything to help her get through it, so she had to deal with that on her own while other "stars" made vids even more provoking and shocking and deserved their air time without any problems. As a consequence of this there weren't made any good music videos at all for Laurie for a long long time which was without any doubts the main reason of falling down the charts with her 5th and "her best" 6th albums.

Despite from anything AR should be grateful for "Gloria", "How Am I...", "Solitaire" and "SC"...

Regards
Bartek

Baby let me touch you
Let me feel your fingertips
Baby let me touch you tonight

Last edited by barteek22 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Yes, the SC vid did make a stir at the time! Back then I didn't have cable TV, or Much Music etc., so I didn't see the vid until about 4 years ago on youtube.
I have to admit that it is a well done vid, by an popular and experienced producer, I guess it was just too cutting edge for the time.
I honestly know little about the roadblocks Laura's career hit along the way, so I won't pretend that I do.
I read a statement recently that a very sucessful song writer said that it was a terrible thing what was done to Laura's career. I have my thoughts on this subject, but will refrain from putting them here.
I will just say that I believe Laura to be a very forgiving lady who turned her cheek many times, and just kept on plugging away letting her great voice persuade folks to love her songs, inspite of outside influences.
Just my opinion, folks can correct me if I am completely wrong! :greetings-wavingyellow: