It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:47 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
The following recently appeared on the pages of the New York Post:

Missing Laura

November 22, 2007 -- THERE'S a Laura Branigan renaissance under way. The New York singer - who had smash hits with "Gloria" and "Self Control," then died three years ago of a brain aneurysm at 47 - was recently feted at a memorial gathering on Long Island called "Spirit of Love." And she's about to have three of her out-of-print records reissued in January after fans campaigned for their return. "She was a beautiful spirit and will never be forgotten," her drummer, Tommy Bayiokos, told us

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11222007/go ... 647291.htm

It's a wonderful coincidence that this article appeared on Thanksgiving Day, being that it was the 25th anniversary of Laura's appearance at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.

We all can be thankful that our lives were and continue to be touched in very special ways by the one and only Laura Branigan.

[align=center]Image[/align]

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:53 pm 
Platinum
Platinum

"And she's about to have three of her out-of-print records reissued in January after fans campaigned for their return."

The fans got Wounded Bird Records to re-release these upcoming out of print CDs in January? What did they do, just e-mail Wounded Bird Records and request them?

Post subject: Clarification
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:32 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Savickster wrote:

The fans got Wounded Bird Records to re-release these upcoming out of print CDs in January? What did they do, just e-mail Wounded Bird Records and request them?

[font=Century Gothic]To understand that statement regarding the fans, it requires a background on the relationship that Rhino has with Wounded Bird Records, as well as the knowledge that the New York Post writer who composed the piece did not speak directly to any of the parties involved with the re-issues, nor directly with Tommy Bayiokos.

A bit of background on the appearance of the piece in the Thanksgiving Day publication... On Thanksgiving Day I received an email from Tommy regarding the article, with a link to it on the New York Post website. Of course, it was a very nice surprise, and I was very happy for Laura when I read it. A little while after that, Tommy called me to wish our family a nice Thanksgiving, and we also talked about the article, as he was so surprised to see it as he was looking at the paper that day. Seeing that he was mentioned in the article, I assumed that the paper spoke with him, but that interestingly was not the case. Tommy was not sure how it all came about, as no one spoke to him directly, but he surmised that it must have happened by "word of mouth" involving conversations that he had had with various friends and connections within the media and industry. I also have had conversations with Tommy regarding the upcoming CD re-issues, so he is aware of the background regarding those as well. So, some of the info was quoted from Tommy somewhere along the line, and as for the exact source of the other info, that's unclear.

Regarding the upcoming Wounded Bird releases, it's clear that the writer did not go into detail, nor did they need to, and as such a general statement was made. There's no question that fans have been involved in writing to Wounded Bird regarding the re-issue of Laura's CDs on their label, and that's an admirable thing to be involved with, but for the most part fans had received nothing definitive back from them over the past few years.

When Rhino first talked with us regarding the re-issue of Touch, Laura Branigan, and Over My Heart, one of the first things we asked was for an explanation as to what the exact relationship was between Rhino and Wounded Bird, since we know that the majority of Wounded Bird releases come from artist catalogs owned by Warner Music. The answer that we received is that in the strictest sense, Wounded Bird Records is a manufacturer/distributor for Rhino/Warner Music. Specifically, Rhino licensed Laura's albums for re-issue to Wounded Bird. Rhino provides near-master music files to Wounded Bird, and these are then duplicated onto CD by Wounded Bird. Wounded Bird is also responsible for having the artwork reproduced, and assembling all parts for packaging. Throughout the process, quality control is assured by Rhino. When the product is ready, it is then distributed under the Wounded Bird Records label. In a nutshell, when Rhino decides that they would like to have material re-issued, Wounded Bird is one of the third party labels that they contract with to produce the CDs, as opposed to producing the CDs themselves.

After establishing the relationship between Rhino and Wounded Bird, I will go back to the statement made in the New York Post. Steve has drawn the conclusion that the writer is referring to fans campaigning to Wounded Bird Records, and that's understandable given the general way in which the statement is made. However, the facts behind the re-issues coming about have to do with decisions on Rhino's part that involve placing those out of print albums back into print, and in addition we have been told that an integral component of their decision-making process involved our advocacy to them on behalf of Laura and her fan base, which as we've stated in the past, is a very crucial part of what Other Half Entertainment does. Plus, fans have been involved in writing to Atlantic Records on Laura's behalf, and that was taken into consideration as well. I write all of that to say that in the most accurate sense, the re-issues have come to fruition as a result of a combination of all the entities mentioned - Rhino, Wounded Bird Records, Other Half Entertainment, and Laura's devoted fans around the world. The New York Post article highlights the involvement of Laura's fans, and that's wonderful.

All in all, the article speaks to the public that Laura may no longer be with us, but she certainly is not forgotten by way of her recordings, the memorial gathering held in her memory, her fans, and those who were personally close to her. The fact that it happened to be published on Thanksgiving Day, exactly 25 years after Laura's appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the city, was a delightful coincidence.

Kathy[/font]

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:42 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

LauraBraniganOnline-OHE wrote:
The following recently appeared on the pages of the New York Post:

Missing Laura

November 22, 2007 -- THERE'S a Laura Branigan renaissance under way. The New York singer - who had smash hits with "Gloria" and "Self Control," then died three years ago of a brain aneurysm at 47 - was recently feted at a memorial gathering on Long Island called "Spirit of Love." And she's about to have three of her out-of-print records reissued in January after fans campaigned for their return. "She was a beautiful spirit and will never be forgotten," her drummer, Tommy Bayiokos, told us

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11222007/go ... 647291.htm

It's a wonderful coincidence that this article appeared on Thanksgiving Day, being that it was the 25th anniversary of Laura's appearance at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.

We all can be thankful that our lives were and continue to be touched in very special ways by the one and only Laura Branigan.

[align=center]Image[/align]

[font=Comic Sans MS]AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!:D The unplanned timing of the article couldn't have been better, and it shows that good effort and work don't go unnoticed!

- Nancy[/font]