It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi Everyone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Debut Album
Debut Album

State/Province: hampshire
I am a long term fan of Laura Branigan from the time Gloria first hits the charts in 1982. Like many people, it was that single and Self Control that made me notice her from the crowd.

There were loads of other music i was into around that time though, and sadly Laura's following singles did not chart so high and i begain to loose track of her career.

It was by chance on the 10th of this month, some 28 years later while looking for music on youtube, that the video for Self Control appeared. So i then watched the most well known performance of Gloria too.

Almost two hours later i had seen more than i ever knew possible. Watching some more clips i could really piece together Laura's career. In fact it feels like i have only just truely discovered this amazing lady.
Then it hit me that Laura had passed away almost eight years ago, and that if she were still alive, it would of been her birthday just a week ago.

At that point i actually started to cry, and it affected me far more than when i first heard of her passing. I cannot recall ever feeling so much loss or sadness for someone other than my own family.

So here i am, here to remember Laura and all the love and good memories she left to us all.

Post subject: Re: Hi Everyone
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hello solitaire!

:text-welcomewave: to the Forum! :smile: Thanks so much for introducing yourself and sharing with us.

We look forward to your continued participation! :happy-sunny:

Take care. :greetings-wavingyellow:

Kathy and Vince

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum, I really enjoyed reading your first post! Great to have you here, we all look forward to hearing from you. A small group of us call ourselves Branigan's Brigade, and you are welcome to join us :greetings-wavingyellow:
(I wish I could refer to your post while I am typing this, but it doesn't work that way :cry: )
Anyway, I can relate to how you reacted to hearing about Laura's passing, and how deeply it touched you. I had the same type of reaction, although it was time delayed a bit. Let me explain...this could get a bit long!
I heard of Laura's passing on Dec 26, 2004, the day we got news of the big tsunami that hit Indonesia. I was at a friends place watching music vids on tv, and after seeing Gloria, he remembered that back in August he heard that LB had died suddenly.
I got on the internet the next day, and typed in Laura's name, the first time I had done so. I was surprised how many entries there were!
Long story short, I read everything I could about her life, and her story touched my heart, just as her music had done. I also was hooked on Gloria back in late 82, I only heard 5 of her songs on the radio, the last being Spanish Eddie. I bought the Self Control album on cassette, and used to listen a lot, The Lucky One was a favorite, and still is :music-listening:
I now have all her albums, and enjoy them all. I wish I had be able to hear Laura sing, and get to meet her, but I had no clue about where she was from, I thought she was Irish! :lol:
Now that was of course a long time before the days of the internet, and all I had to go on was what was printed in the album cover of the Self Control cover, no goggle searchs back then!!!
I have more to say about Laura, but I don't want to bore anybody too much!
Take care, and I look forward to hearing more about you.

BraniFan777 ....hint, I am a married guy about 5 years younger than Laura, just to let you know :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Oh yes, I remember you mentioned crying over Laura's passing, as well as watching lots of her vids on YouTube.
A few years back there was a controversy over music rights etc. and lots of vids were removed from youtube.
A few family members and I were a bit distraught over Laura's vids being taken off youtube, so we started to sing along with her songs, so they would be allowed to stay there as a cover version. We had to figure out an appropriate name for our group, so we chose the LEMONS2009 as our channel name. You can still find us singing along to LBs songs, although you may want to prepare yourself, you may shed some tears of a different nature while listening! :laughing-rofl:
Although a big youtube singer Lisa Lavie has listened too us, and said that we weren't that sour! :lol:
Anyway, you have a good one, and you will know how the Lemons came about if you see our logo on youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm 
Debut Album
Debut Album

State/Province: hampshire
Kathy and Vince,

Thank you for this site and forum, it has helped me to understand all that i missed in Laura's life and career. I can see why she choose it to become official status for all the fans worldwide. :greetings-clapyellow:

Im not sure how often i will be here, as my brothers tend to get to the computer before me lol, and im really quite shy and not into social sites and stuff. Somehow i just had to be here though in what Laura considered home for her fans. It would also be great to attend the anniversary meetings each year but sadly im too far away to come to one. None the less im happy to be here online and with so much youtube videos too.

Branifan, yes i understand you had a similar but delayed experience to me. Most of us seem to be the same and youtube plays a big part of it. Thanks to everyone here thats responsible for posting so many of Laura's videos.

I would love to be one of the brigade but im not sure how to ? Ive also looked at some videos on the LEMONS2009 channel, but dont know what to say about that at the moment. :lol:

Thank you all for the welcomes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

HaHaHa!!! So you watched some Lemons vids, you can go ahead and say we are Sour Singers, if you want, thats OK :lol:
As I said we started the channel to help keep some of LB's songs on YouTube, and it worked for the most part, although unfortunately we had to be singing along with Laura, or they would delete the vid. Things have softened up since that time, but I have just left the vids there as a memory. Did you happen to watch "Please stay Go away", we put a message in that one, and we tried to make "Solitaire attempt #27" to be funny. We had some fun as a family making the vids at that time, but the kids are older now, and don't want to sing on youtube anymore. I married a lady from Laura's home state of New York a while back, so her and I sing the occasional song, and thankfully she is a much better singer than I am! :music-listening:
Nice to hear from you again, and make sure you win the race to the computer so you can leave more posts here!!! :greetings-wavingyellow:

Oh, You are pretty much an automatic member of Branigan's Brigade since you enjoy Laura's songs :text-woo: