It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Semper Fi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 am 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

State/Province: Missouri
I first heard Laura when I was a young Marine fresh out of bootcamp. It was of course "Gloria". I went out to find the cassette. Upon hearing the songs "If You Loved Me" and "Maybe I Love You", I was a Branigan fan.

I have always listened to a variety of music. I grew up with a father who wrote and sang country music, I love country to this day. I listened to rock, R&B, jazz, as well as classical and opera. I tend to gravatate to music with a positive message, especially a ballad. All too often Pop, rock, and modern R&B tend to be self-absorbed in it's lyrics. But I love music with positive messages and emotions. By the mid-80's, I was predominately listening to CCM, second to that country, other ballads, then others. I still listen to music in that order.

I was stationed at MCAS (H) Tustin. That stands for Marine Corps Air Station (Helicopter) Tustin, California. I would go many weekends, catch the Amtrac from Santa Ana to LA. I would go to the USO, between Hollywood and Sunset (back then, since moved to the airport). I would go down the street to Solid Gold. That's where I got to meet Laura one day. I arrived early as usual to get a good seat (but as with everything the USMC had taught me, you get ready early, and if you are just on time you are late). Laura for some reason was there already and came outside. There were maybe eight or so of us out there and she spoke to each of us, signed a few autographs, and made us all feel important. She made me feel as though what each of us thought/felt was important to her.

I doesn't hurt that she looked very much like the girl that was in love with, and later married. My wife has put up with me for 23 years now (She doesn't need to prove her sainthood in any other way ;-).

In all the times I saw her in concert (4) and saw her on TV, Laura had never said or did anything of negative nature. She was a person of quality, pure and simple. This is a person to be celebrated, her presence made the world a better place, and though she is gone now the world is still a better place.

Post subject: Re: Semper Fi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
:text-goodpost: Hi Dan:
Thanks so much for your service to our country, and to all those who have served and are serving now.
I'm sure it was quite a thrill to meet Laura. And to have the luck to have someone so special in your life that looks like Laura, you're a lucky man, but I'm sure worthy
God Bless you and all our armed service personnel!!!
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the Forum, enjoyed your message.
I never got to meet Laura, or even see her, but I feel her touch my heart when I listen to certain songs. I agree with you that the world is a better place because she lived in it! I became hooked on Laura's singing when I was about the same age as you, but I took a different path. The first music I bought was the Self Control album on Cassette tape, which I owned and took good care of until it was stolen from my care about the same time LB passed away. To me it wasn't a coincidence, but who really knows. I only heard 5 of her songs on the radio, and I always wondered what happened to her, for some reason. Then I learned that she passed away, the same day as the Big Tsunami hit south east asia. Then I looked Laura up on the internet, and learned as much as I could about her, and bought a compilation CD, which I really liked.
Then a year ago I got onto youtube, and viewing her vids convinced me to check out her website, and join the Forum, which I am glad that I did!
Laura holds a special place in my heart, like no other singer does, since, as you said, she was an honest good person in the core. That is the same thing I have felt about Laura these last 5 years, so I do what I can to promote her songs on youtube, and introduce people to her songs. I have found that her songs touch people's hearts just the way Laura wanted them to do.
Some of us BraniFans started Branigan's Brigade on youtube, as a little Fan Club of Laura's , and we have made some good friends there. People sure seem to loyal to Laura, and I for 1 feel that we couldn't have a better example to follow. I know Laura wasn't perfect, but she sure was a nice Lady! :clap:

P.S. The nicest looking girl in my high school was a brunette that looked a bit like Laura, of course I was way to shy to even say hello to her! :oops: But she did work as a cashier, so I went thru her line a few times on purpose! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 am 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

Thanks Guys;

My wife is my soul-mate. I met her at church one day. It was me, my best friend, and my Dad. We were met at the door by a beautiful young lady (Beautiful blue eyes, brunette hair, and full eyebrows). We talked for a while like we were longtime friends. A man (her father) signaled her to go back across the room. I nudged my best in the ribs and told him that she was the girl that I was going to marry. I had no doubts though I was a sophmore in high school, and she was a senior.

The next year she went to college (BTW...Her music professor was the first to compare her to Laura). At 17, I joined the U.S. Marine Corps. When she finished college, she went to teach school in Colombia (South America). When she came back to the USA, I was finished with my first enlistment in the Corps, and I showed up at church where she was.

A few months later we had our first date and six months after that we were married. A few weekslater my buddy sent me an invitation to his upcoming wedding. Brooke and I walked into the church together, he looked at us and said, "No"??? I held up our left hands and said "yes". He then reiterated the story to Brooke. She finally believed me, instead of just thinking it was a sweet story. To this day she makes me a nicer, and better, man. When I am with her, I like me better. I don't know how to say it any better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

:banana-dance: :banana-guitar: :text-goodpost:
Come to the SOL 2010 celebration and show us yourself!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

jimr,

I am trying to convince her to take the trip. I've got a we'll see thus far. We have several irons in the fire right now. We are saving leave for when my oldest son goes to and graduates from bootcamp. I will be there for him on that day for sure. My wife has a get-together this spring/summer that they are trying to finalize. But I'd say it's even money right now. My youngest son (nor my oldest) has never been to NYC, so we may do that also.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Hey Dan:
I'm supposedly the tough egg in the family when it comes to sensitivity, but your story about you and your beloved tweeked a heart string. My wife and I met in similar fashion (not in church, but high school), so a kindred spirit has been sparked.
Understandably your son's graduation takes precedence, but your attendece at the SOL'10 would be a "biggie" also. You and your wife would meet a great group of people who all share a deep respect and love of the greatest talent (just after Neil Diamond) to ever grace God's green earth. Many laughs and stories from those that knew Laura, along with the commeraderie (I wish there was a spell checker on this site) and memories you would take home with you, make this a weekend you'll be glad you treated yourself to.
Please consider my recommendation. I personally would love to meet someone who has served our country, and express my thanks in person.
Hope to see you in August and the best of luck to your son.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 pm 
Billboard Top 10
Billboard Top 10

Jim,

Thanks for your post. My wife and I are seeing about the logistics of the trip!!! :greetings-clapyellow: I want to remind you that it's still tentative, but it is a solid possibility. We have discussed seeing the Poconos so we may get to do both, we'll see.

BTW, how do you post a pic on here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:49 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Hi Dan:
As far as posting a picture, Kathy monitors the posts each day, so she is the best one to ask. I have no clue. I've refrained from posting a picture of myself on L.B.'s and Facebook sites just so all the fair maidens think that the guy posting all the witty remarks has got to be drop dead gorgeous...NOT :text-lol:
The Poconos are a great place to stop over on the way to Long Island. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in the Poconos sometime in the last century. (28.5 years ago)
I' m really hoping your wife comes around and lets you come (you are a Marine, aren't you? Try putting your foot down, it works every time for me....right?) Seriously, it's a great time that is structured yet not at all rigid. You and your sweetheart will love it.
Dan, here's a thought. Send in your registration and tell her this is your valentines gift to her. Should go over as well as the power saw I intend to give Sharon next week. :text-lol:
Jim
"The Connecticut Fanigan"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
danburger1964 wrote:
I first heard Laura when I was a young Marine fresh out of bootcamp. It was of course "Gloria". I went out to find the cassette. Upon hearing the songs "If You Loved Me" and "Maybe I Love You", I was a Branigan fan.

I have always listened to a variety of music. I grew up with a father who wrote and sang country music, I love country to this day. I listened to rock, R&B, jazz, as well as classical and opera. I tend to gravatate to music with a positive message, especially a ballad. All too often Pop, rock, and modern R&B tend to be self-absorbed in it's lyrics. But I love music with positive messages and emotions. By the mid-80's, I was predominately listening to CCM, second to that country, other ballads, then others. I still listen to music in that order.

I was stationed at MCAS (H) Tustin. That stands for Marine Corps Air Station (Helicopter) Tustin, California. I would go many weekends, catch the Amtrac from Santa Ana to LA. I would go to the USO, between Hollywood and Sunset (back then, since moved to the airport). I would go down the street to Solid Gold. That's where I got to meet Laura one day. I arrived early as usual to get a good seat (but as with everything the USMC had taught me, you get ready early, and if you are just on time you are late). Laura for some reason was there already and came outside. There were maybe eight or so of us out there and she spoke to each of us, signed a few autographs, and made us all feel important. She made me feel as though what each of us thought/felt was important to her.

I doesn't hurt that she looked very much like the girl that was in love with, and later married. My wife has put up with me for 23 years now (She doesn't need to prove her sainthood in any other way ;-).

In all the times I saw her in concert (4) and saw her on TV, Laura had never said or did anything of negative nature. She was a person of quality, pure and simple. This is a person to be celebrated, her presence made the world a better place, and though she is gone now the world is still a better place.

Hi Dan,

I really enjoyed your post, as it's always interesting to find out how people became/become fans of Laura's. :smile: I've been a fan of Laura's since the beginning, so the journey I've taken is nothing short of extra special to me. That is so awesome that you got to meet Laura at Solid Gold. The way you describe how she made you feel that time - that you and what you felt about her were important to her - well, that same sentiment can be repeated, and continues to be, throughout the world by so many fans that were fortunate to meet her and spend some time with her. Whether it was back in the 80's or up through the performances just prior to her passing, what you described remained the same with her, and beyond the fact of her immense talent, that is just as much her great legacy that she left us. :clap:

The last sentence in your post is ever so poignant - the world certainly was a better place with her in it, and even though she is gone from this life, her impact still continues to make it a better place.

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next