It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Texas!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:33 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: TX
For a very long time now I’ve admired Laura’s amazing voice and the depth of emotional freedom she expresses so eloquently. Every time I hear a song of hers, I stop whatever it is I’m doing as it captivates my soul. I say this for I’m a singer / songwriter and everything I do, I do for the feeling. Only recently was I made aware that Laura was no longer with us. This was very sad for me, I hate when we lose someone so soon.

Now for the better part of a week, I’ve been sitting on my breaks and at home as well, listening to Laura’s music. All of it… The memories that come flooding back to me from back when I first heard some of them is just overwhelming. It’s like an emotional roller-coaster, at some points I even noticed a tear in my eyes when I’m reminded of the loss. Never once did I get the chance to be graced by Laura’s presence in person. If she ever came near me on a tour, I was never made aware of it. Sadly this is the case with a great many that I’d love to see in concert.

It’s taken me the better part of the last week to even think of what I wanted to say when I found out about this on all things, wiki-pedia. I had been browsing and looking at artist that I had not heard anything from in a long while. She was one of the first ones I looked up and was the last one as well after reading what I had. I came straight to this site, never even gave the other a thought at all. I go to the wiki site for finding the “Official” sites for people that I’m looking for. They tend to be more legit and trust worthy. When I read about the trouble with the other site, which I refuse to mention. It didn’t take much to make me come here without even glancing the other.

Then I got to reading some of the responses Laura made to her fans. How personable can one be, there are not many out there like her that’s for certain. I’m very sad on a personal level that I never at least got to see her in concert, it would have been one I’d kept in memory forever. The videos on YouTube have been great for allowing me to step back in time and watch what I can, amazing is just not enough to describe how I felt when watching them.

I own every CD except for a couple of the collections that came out later. Everyone of them are well listened to. My early music from childhood was Elvis and a lot of other odd and end artist as I was growing up through the 70’s. KISS became an obsession with me, then in the 80’s it was all the guitar rock, but in the mix of all of this, pop also had a place with me. Laura Branigan stood out over all of them. I’m very selective on what sounds good to me and by that I mean I have to feel something from what I’m hearing musically. It has to touch me, move me, make me want to sing along with it. That’s when I know I like someone’s song, because it will not let me go.

Thanks to all of the love and artistry she’s left behind, I never have to let go. None of us do. Her legacy is going to carry on through those of us who keep her memory alive by sharing, enjoying and celebrating what she gave to the world. Laura Branigan was a very unique performer, singer, songwriter, woman! We miss her a great deal, but she lives on through us. I know there will never be another like Laura, kudos for her management team “The Other Half Entertainment” for keeping this site up and her memory alive. I’m very happy to be a member of this community and look forward to hearing about all the great stories and events everyone is doing here.

Most Sincerely
Robert Wright :text-thankyoublue:

We live for the moment and that moment lives through you, lives through me...
Wander by, walking, looking around, less talking, eye to eye we meet yet again.
Friendly smile upon your face, for a moment in time, warm embrace...
Never once for that moment did I ever think I'd feel this way again.

I Live for today, tomorrow may never be...
Looking to the heavens to find you watching over me.
It must be the eyes, eyes of an angel..

Post subject: Re: Hello from Texas!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Ma
Welcome Robert to the board. Wonderful post you did. :text-goodpost: Yes, this site is the real deal. Kathy and Vince do a great job keeping Laura's legacy alive and well. :happy-wavemulticolor: Good people they are. Laura was a good person, loved her fans, we were her other half. I was one of the Lucky ones that did get to know Laura on a personal level. She was a dear friend and is truly missed not only by me but so many around the world. Keep on posting alright.
God Bless,
Jen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Welcome Rob :greetings-wavingyellow:
Great to have you here with us all.
I joined here after I finally got the internet on my own computer at work.
I liked Laura's music since I first heard it in 82. I didn't buy much music back then, as a poor student, but did pick up Self Control :music-listening:
I got ticked off by youtube having to pull a bunch of Laura's vids off, after I had watched them :mad:
So I went radical, and started to sing along with LB's songs, and put them back onto YT.
I sure there is some controversy about this, but you will know who theLEMONS2009 are, if you ever come acrossed us, and like sour sounding overly enthusiactic background singers!

Anyway, Great to have you here with us, and I look forward to reading more from you. :greetings-wavingyellow:

BraniFan777 (I also go by that name on Youtube)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:04 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

Thanks for the warm welcomes from you guys, I've been reading here when I can and posting when I feel I have something worthy to share. I'm somewhat of a picky poster, when do get inspired to make one it's straight from my heart and nothing hidden. I loved Laura a lot, it seriously hit me hard when I learned of her passing. Though I never got to meet her, see her live in concert, my feelings for her as a singer, an artist, was very strong after seeing the video of her live that I bought on VHS a long time ago.

The sheer magic she captivated her audience with, was that of an angel and no one can take that from her. Her stage presence was one of someone that cared about her fans and everyone around her. Loved watching her videos they were very creative and loved the moods they set. But it was her live performance that really hooked me and drew me in. I'm that way about a lot of music I listen to. Anyone can do a great studio recording because you have all that time to perfect what you want it to come out like, sometimes it works against you but at least you can correct anything you want in the studio. Live however, that's where it all comes down to you, the fans and nothing in between. She stood among the best I've heard or seen live and I've gone to countless concerts of many different bands and artist alike.

I hope one day we can see the DVD releases of her two recorded live concerts, I'd buy them in a heartbeat! Though I'd probably have to buy two of each so when I wear one out I can be sure not to lose anything! They would get played a lot. I'm just so excited that there are others to share and talk to about her. Some of my friends don't understand why I even like her music, but they're a bunch of metal-heads, which sums up why they don't care for her style. Eh, I don't let it discourage me from liking what I do. I'm so diverse in my music that even when I do record myself, my friends have a hard time putting me in any kind of category. I float around a lot from style to style. Anyway, I'd love to see those two concerts in their entirety, especially the earlier one. Right now all I can do is watch them on YouTube.

Well I need to get back to work here, you all take care and I'll be coming back here more and more. It's so much fun to talk about Laura's music and how others seen or feel about her as well.

Later everyone!

-Rob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
Hello Rob,

On behalf of Vince and I :text-welcomewave: to the Forum! :-D

Not a week goes by that we don't receive messages via email from fans who have only recently been made aware of, or still are not aware yet even, of Laura's passing. We also continue to receive requests for bookings and such from those in the industry who are unaware as well. It's always a sad part of my job when I have to inform someone that Laura is no longer with us. :sad: Fortunately, Laura has left the world with such a rich legacy of the very special person that she was and her artistry. Like you and so many others, I definitely associate various tracks of Laura's with different times in my life, like a personal "soundtrack".

Laura was very personable. She was so genuine, down to earth, knew what was truly important in life, and always loved her fans dearly and spent quality time with them, unlike many other artists out there - all this, paired with her extraordinary voice and emotional delivery, truly sets her apart. In the end, she was still that shy girl that she always talked about being when she was growing up.

I love what you wrote in your closing paragraph - "Thanks to all of the love and artistry she’s left behind, I never have to let go. None of us do." So well put! It's so true that we must all partner together to continue Laura's legacy. :text-thankyoublue: for your very kind words regarding the work of Other Half Entertainment. Not only did we work with Laura, but she was a close friend, so all that we do is truly a labor of love, and we couldn't be doing it for a better person. It is such an honor to represent her and oversee her legacy.

Thanks for joining all of us here, and we look forward to your continued participation! :happy-sunny: :happy-wavemulticolor:

Take care. :greetings-wavingblue:

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
Hi Rob:
I also found out quite by accident that Laura died 5 years ago. I was stuck at work for 2 nights and had been doing web searches on favorite artists of mine. When I typed in "Laura Branigan" and came up with "Laura's Passing", I was shocked, dumbfounded and felt a sense of great loss. As I read more about her, the feeling grew even stronger. She was definetly a "once in a lifetime person" and touched her fans greatly.
Stay in touch through the web site. Kathy and Vince are great people and truly devoted to keeping Laura's memory alive.
Make sure to attend the S.O.L. 2010. You'll meet alot of terrific people who feel the admiration of one of the greatest singers and individuals to ever grace god's green earth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:34 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Howdy,
I also found out about Laura's passing, somewhat after the fact. A friend told me on 26 Dec 2004 (the day the Big Tsunami hit the far east) I had a delayed reaction to the news, due to the shock about so many people dying due to the Tsunami! I got on the internet, and read more about Laura, and her life, as I knew very little, other than I like all the songs of hers I heard on the radio, and an interview about the Self Control album. I always thought she was a cool singer, but I bought 1 album, but never really followed up. I thought Laura was Irish :lol:
But info was quite a bit harder to come by before the internet, but over the years, I remember wondering what ever happened to Laura. I got into the group ASIA, and in the process of playing some old tapes, found Gloria again also.
Anyway, I have deep feelings where LB is concerned, and like you, my friends, and most of my family don't understand it. Oh well, we are all individuals, so they accept me, and I try to use head phones more often! :music-listening:
So, great to have you join us here, and thanks for sharing your feelings. Don't be afraid to do so, we understand what you mean where LB is concerned :romance-heartsthree:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:24 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: CT
Hi again Rob:
As Branifan777 mentioned, a lot of people (family, friends) don't "get it", but you're not alone at this website. We all have great admiration for Laura, and respect for each other. We all "get it", so welcome to the "get it" crowd.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:34 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

It's great to have people who can identify and share your feelings with on such matters as one like this. Some people don't understand how one person can affect you in such a way, because you never really knew them in person. They think because you were not related to or involved with them directly that you should not have such strong feelings to them. So for others like that, they'll probably never understand and that's fine. To each their own.

I myself not only feel strongly and emotionally attached to songs and the artistry of Laura, but quite a few others as well. Some of them have had such an impact on me in a great many ways. I'm a musician and a songwriter, I sing as well. It's been one of my childhood dreams for a long time. Everyone that I listen to, has touched me in one way or another, especially if I'm playing any of their materials at my little shows.

There are so many talented people out there who can sing and or play an instrument so well that they seem to invite you in, take you on a ride with them through their feelings through song. I've heard guitarist that can almost make you cry from the amount of emotion put behind their solos. I've felt everything from joy, sadness, sorry and inspiration as well. Laura had that in her, she had that magic, the ability to bring you in and hold you captivated to the point you felt every emotion.

So for people who don't understand, it's because they have not connected. They'll one day understand but till then, we have each other and our memories and I'm happy with that.

-Rob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Well said there Rob! :greetings-clapyellow:
:text-goodpost:
I am not a singer, although my daughter and I have done sing along covers to about 90 songs, and put them onto youtube. For anyone that knows me this is quite out of character for me, as I am generally a shy quiet person, but I am not as quiet as I used to be anymore. I also write different words to existing songs, I have 2 that I need music done for, which I have been searching for a musician to play the music. Guitar, or piano, either would be fine.
Anyway, this is just a little hobby for me as of late, and I am quite well aware that our singing talents are sadly lacking, but we only do it for fun, so there is NO worry about me quitting my day job! :laughing-rofl:
I expect I have generated some controversy by doing sing along cover versions of about 20 of Laura's songs, primarily to get the songs back onto youtube. So long as folks know that I do it out of my love and respect for Laura, that is what is important to me. If I make a fool out of myself doing it, it wouldn't be the first time, and probably not the last!
As I mentioned I, like you have deep feelings concerning Laura, and her musical talents, as you said, her songs can generate all kinds of emotions in you, Laura was very good at what she did! :music-listening:
I have very little musical knowledge, I only took a few years of piano growing up, but I knew a good singer when I heard "Gloria" on the radio, and I am so glad that I have re-discovered LB's wide variety of songs.
It is just such a danged shame that Laura passed away so young, I will be the same age that she was in a week or so, and I certainly still feel plenty alive, and look forward to doing lots of new things in the future. Looking back, I am glad that Laura was starting to get back into things musically, and in other aspects of her life, as it shows that she had worked her way thru the trial of her life, and she was coming back out into the sunlight , so to speak. We all will have our own trials in life, the important thing is that we overcome them, which she did.
I have enjoyed reading your posts, as they give us a musicians perspective about Laura, I feel lots of emotions listening to Laura's songs, but I don't have the knowledge to describe aspects of them well, like you do. So thanks again for adding your unique take on things.
Well, I gotta go for now, and sing an ear ache generating cover version of "Self Control" !!! :o :laughing-rofl: :greetings-wavingyellow: