It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Texas!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Just joking, I didn't try to sing "Self Control" :lol:
Although I sing along to most of Laura's songs, only certain songs have attracted me to actually try to sing them on Youtube, I guess there are many reasons for this, how much I like them, if I stand a snowballs chance of not sounding like a Cat being strangled, if I feel comfortable singing the song, if it had been deleted, etc. I have been tempted to do a cover of "Forever Young", but I have resisted so far, as I hear Laura used to close her shows with that song, and I feel a lot of emotion while I listen to it.

I have introduced someone to Laura's music, and they seem to be liking it alot :music-listening: I have been listening to Laura's songs quite a bit lately, and I never tire of them. I think the song I can listen to the most is "Sanctuary" as it is so soft and gentle, flowing like water. as Cajestic said. :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:17 am 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

State/Province: TX
BraniFan

You know, GUILTY as charged! I think I've been caught singing in my car, home and other various places some of Laura's songs. Funny thing however, people sometimes would come up and ask if I wrote that song or something to that degree, because they knew nothing of Laura's music. I'd turn so red in the face and they'd ask me why was I embarrassed, my only response was "Sorry, thanks and all but alas none of that is mine and I'm afraid I definitely am not the singer like the true artist was" Then I'd explain to them who originally did the songs.

I do this with so many artists music though, I'll be walking along singing songs like "Anyway You Want It" and "Faithfully" and even some others that are more hard rock. People look at me like I'm nuts sometimes, but you know what? I don't care, life's too short to not have fun and if I'm happy singing, that's all that matters. When I do get back to performing my acoustical shows locally here again, I'm going to find several songs that I can adapt to acoustic guitar and I promise one of them will be a LB song! I love doing something in the middle of my shows that someone stops what they're doing, stares at me and starts putting on their thinking caps trying to figure out "I know that song! I have heard it before! Who does this song???" It's a feeling you can't quite get over when someone identifies with a song you're doing on any level and stops like that.

I've had it happen a few times in the past and once it even caught me off guard because the small pub like place I was playing was packed to the walls and everyone in there went dead silent. I thought I had messed up big time only to have them singing suddenly the chorus with me to "Band on the Run". To me that's just magic at it's best. Those people didn't know me from anywhere but yet they knew that song. Love surprising folks :happy-sunny:

We live for the moment and that moment lives through you, lives through me...
Wander by, walking, looking around, less talking, eye to eye we meet yet again.
Friendly smile upon your face, for a moment in time, warm embrace...
Never once for that moment did I ever think I'd feel this way again.

I Live for today, tomorrow may never be...
Looking to the heavens to find you watching over me.
It must be the eyes, eyes of an angel..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:44 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

:text-goodpost: there RTWright
You describe things so well in your descriptions, unfortunately, I am not blessed with being able to verbally, or while writing, being able to express myself very well :oops: Oh well, we all have different talents.
Yes, I am definitely guilty of singing along with Laura while in my car, or at home, I can't help myself, her tunes just pop into my head. I guess I should view the way I enjoy songs as a gift, as I don't think everyone gets as much enjoyment out of some songs as I certainly do. I am a bit shy, inspite of my Youtube activities, so I will whistle a song so others can hear it, but I don't usually sing in front of anyone except my kids.
My father was quite talented, he taught himself to play violin, and guitar, and could listen to a song once, then play it. I have no such abilities, but 2 of my brothers sons are in college on voice/ music scholarships, so I guess perhaps it does run in the family, it just bypassed me!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:06 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

BraniFan

Nah, don't ever sell yourself short. You describe your feelings and views just fine. Trust me, I have my days where I sit at and watch as I type how many errors that are made as I backspace back out of them repeatedly and recheck my wording and as well making sure it conveys what I'm wishing it to. You'd probably roll over laughing at all the errors I insta-correct along the way. I've done the same thing with my music in live performances as well. I'd sing the wrong verse or lyrics completely and just pretend like I meant for it to happen! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hey, thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.
I just know that I am not really a person that was much into the "Arts" , so I have a hard time describing some things.
I know what you mean about re-typing things sometimes, to try to get your point acrossed more like you meant it, sometimes these posts take me a while to get "right"
Catch you later :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:15 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

You know, we all have a nitch in this world and sometimes I feel like that I have tried to take on too many! HAH! It's one thing to be good at something and which everyone is, but I have such a wandering mind that when it gets down to it? My mind must have a form of ADD because I love to do so many different things that I can't ever really say I'm a master of any of them but I do have fun trying. As soon as I can I'll show you some of it. I'm actually trying to layout plans for a website that focuses on all aspects of my life. From music, art, photography and even my gaming side of my life that I tend to spend some time in when I can't afford to do much else but sit at home.

I plan to have a section of my site devoted to the artists in my life that has most influenced me over the past 20+ years. LB will be on that list for certain! It's a really neat idea I have in store for that part of the site and I can't wait. I plan to have forums / blogs set up for my site as well but it's got a long ways to go and I'll keep you informed.

I want to include things like the top most songs, albums, concerts, meetings and various other events that have happened. This will be a great place for me to express my appreciation to those that have done so in my time. Oh! Creativity on any level is fun! :banana-guitar:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hi RTWright :greetings-wavingyellow:
I had the flu for 5 days, strangest one I have ever had, since I had so much spare time couped up in the house, I got out my daughters electronic keyboard, and gave it a try. That thing is pretty amazing, with all the rythyms, different instruments and things it can do, I was impressed. I haven't touched a piano in about 30 years, so there was alot of re-learning to do.
Anyway, since I have been having serious problems uploading any of my sing along cover versions of Laura's songs onto YouTube lately, I thought I would try to re-create one from scratch. Yea, I might as well have tried to start off painting the Mona Lisa!
I tried my luck at "Statue in the rain" off the Touch album. I got out an empty hot chocolate cardboard can, and the plastic lid became a drum, using a selected pen and pencil for sticks! Actually, it didn't sound too bad, all things considered. The music proved MUCH harder, as I had to figure out what notes were being played, write it down (I only remember where middle C is), so I devised my own way to write the notes down. Then I had to memorize what little of the song, I could figure out. I played the tune correctly on the third recording I think it was. Then came how to mix it, that proved to be a nightmare, but magic marker dots onto the casette tape worked out in the end! :o
Then I learned an important lesson, CD's play at a precise speed, casette recorders, usually do not! :mad: So I am trying to listen to Laura sing the song from a CD, thru 1 earphone, so I can sing the words along to her. At the same time that the 2 tracks of music and drums are playing on casette, and Laura keeps getting ahead of the music! It danged near drove me Bonkers :lol: I finally gave up after 2 tries, and said that was good enough. The resulting masterpiece :laughing-rofl: is now on youtube only for my friends to listen to, as it is about as Lemoney sounding as possible :oops:
Lets just say, I learned a lot. 1. leave the singing to a Professional like Laura! :romance-heartsthree: 2. Don't attempt to do what I did without some much better equipment, or you will get VERY frustrated in a hurry! 3. Hope the Youtube Kerfussal is overwith SOON, so Clowns like me won't have to go to such lengths to try to get Laura's tunes playing!!! :wink: But Hey, I had fun, and it passed the time, and I can play some of "Statue in the rain" on piano now :text-woo:
Catch you later :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Texas
Howdy Robert! :flags-texas:
Not sure how I missed your post, asleep at the switch I guess. We're practically neighbors by Texas standards, I only live about 150 miles west of you (about 15 miles east of Abilene).
Don't see too many Texicans on here. Saw a girl on here from Dallas a while back but haven't seen her on in some time.

Sounds like you've got the same thing most of us have. I call it Braniganosis Intractibilis. The only treatment is MORE LAURA! There's no cure once you contract it, but if you have to have a disease, it's about the best one to have! I'm not 100% sure how I contracted it. I think the virus was on the first CD I bought, and I'm sure I got it on my hands, and the first time I wiped a tear from my eye I was infected. :romance-heartsthree:

Gotta run for now, almost time to get off work :text-woo: I'll catch ya later.

TF1

I know we'll reunite beyond time.

Time Strangers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

:text-goodpost: there TF1

I think the Laura bug must be in the music, as I had a Self Control casette tape first, and I was busy driving my car 2000 miles to school, so I wasn't wiping any tears, especially not in Chicago area traffic! :o Now Wyoming could be a different matter, but I maintain playing Laura's music emits an invisible highly infectous gas, that once deeply inhaled has you hooked for life! :romance-heartsthree:
Like you, I think it is the best possible disease to have, as listening to more Laura tunes is the only cure :music-listening:

By golly, I just figured out why Laura's vids being removed from youtube upsets me so much, I am suffering from a form of withdrawal!!! :laughing-rofl: I can't hear those fine live versions of songs like "Don't cry for me Argentina" anymore :cry:
Well, at least now I know why I am acting this way, I now know whose fault it is, and no my finger isn't pointing Laura's direction, hint, we just call them the Perp.
Anyway, thanks for helping me figure all that out TF1, between me being MD, and you a Pharmacist, we got to the bottom of this knawing question! :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-wavingyellow:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 pm 
Chart-Breaker
Chart-Breaker

Sorry to hear BraniFan that you were sick. Glad to see you back here and posting again though. Also thanks TF1! Yeah we're not that far apart from one another in the great distance by comparison of where others are on here. Neighbors is about right :cool:

BraniFan, I have to say you must of had a good time experimenting no? At least it sure sounds as if you did hehehee. It's been a while since I posted last due to having to find new employment after three years in the same place. Trying to get my freelance stuff going isn't as easy as it once was hehe. I'll get there though. Once I do get my income going again, I plan to do a lot of experimenting myself. Just need the one hardware piece that allows me to plug my guitar into my computer to record and I'm off! :banana-guitar:

Anyway, back to working on a few things here, getting stuff ready for a endless week of resumes, interviews and constant phone calls. I'll be stopping by here more often though, that I can promise!

:techie-typing:

-Rob :happy-sunny:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next