It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Adelaide
Hello Everyone,

I am so glad to have found this forum.

My name is Mandy, i'm 25 years old and i live in South Australia.

I've recently discovered Laura Branigan about 6 months ago and ever since then have been a huge fan.

I was watching a show late at night once when they were advertising a compilation CD collection from the 80s and they went through all these songs from various artists and then they came to "Gloria" and i thought wow what a voice and what a song. I didnt know who Laura was but i did some research online and found out who she was and then i began listening to her other music on youtube and started buying her CDs.

My dream was to write to Laura and see if maybe i could meet her someday.
And then my heart was shattered into a million pieces when i heard of her passing. How could this happen to such a young and beautiful woman?

Laura really was different to everyone else and she showed it. When she sang, she meant every word, she could feel the song through every inch in her body. Just by looking at her and how she interacted with the audience you could see she was the type of person who loved and cared for people, she was humble. No ego like some musicians these days. What a truely amazing person she was and she has certainly left the world a better place for having walked this earth.

I never knew Laura personally, but i feel like i knew her so well, through her music i feel so close to her. Music is something that's very close to my heart, i've learnt piano and sang for many years, until i was struck with illness Doctors have been unable to identify. For the last 7 years i've been pretty much home bound and i had given up all hope on life.

Something in Lauras voice and music has sparked something inside me to keep on fighting and to look for a diagnosis for my mystery illness that has isolated me from life. I have now tried everything without success and now i am on herbal medicine, i feel this is the one thats going to make a break through for me.

I have seen the SOL on here and my heart aches, oh how i wish i could be there but i am just to weak to travel. But my goal is to be there one day and every year after that. I'd do anything to get close to Laura and the people who knew her and i feel i can do that on this fourm.

Kathy and Vince what awesome people you are doing what you do. You're absolutely amazing and this site is, i cant even find the words to describe it. To say it's brilliant would be offensive as that would be an understatement.
Thanks for keeping Laura's memory alive.

I am typing this listening to Laura's "Over You" song and i am in tears typing this. What a legend beautiful Laura is.

I love you always Laura. XX

You can set me free but you'll come back to me
Didn't we almost win
Didn't we almost win it all~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Greetings Branigan4eva :greetings-wavingyellow:
I am glad you found us here, I hope we can help you regain your zest for life.
That was a very touching message you left there, I am having trouble concentrating on what to say, so please bear with me. "Over You" is one of my favorite songs by Laura, as I have been on both sides of that equation. Glad you like it also.
Have you listened to "Sanctuary" off the Hold Me album, it may still be playing here on LBOnline, and is on youtube, if you type the name in to find it. It is a calm peaceful song about love, I can listen to it many times over :music-listening: , and never tire of it.
I guess it is time I came out of the closet (so to speak) about a little project I have been doing on youtube. I have been singing (along with Laura's CDs) cover versions of a few of her songs, my daughter has joined in on a few songs. We go under the youtube name of "theLEMONS2009" , and our name pretty much describes the quality of our songs :laughing-rofl: , but we are only in it for fun, and putting a few more of Laura's songs back onto youtube. Do me a favor and listen to "Please stay go Away", there is a little message there you may find funny. It relates to my feelings regarding lots of Laura's stuff disappearing off youtube :mad: I will be loading up what I think is my best song yet "The sweet hello the sad goodbye", it is a light cover, as you can hardly hear me, but maybe that is a good thing! :wink:
For any of you that have listened so far, don't worry, I AM KEEPING my day job, I know Laura had more singing talent in her baby toe than I will ever have. :lol: Give some of the songs a listen for a good laugh, branigan4 eva.
As you said Laura is a very special Lady, she stands out from all the rest. Some of us feel her spirit touch our heart when listening to her lovely music, maybe that is what has happened to you. I know I am hooked for life.
Once again, great to have you join us all here, and I look forward to hearing lots more from you :greetings-wavingyellow:

Miles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Dear BraniFan777,
Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

Thanks for recommending the "Sanctuary" song. It truely is a beautiful one and i really love the lyrics. My favorite lyric from that song is 'Just to know your heart is breaking/When it could be making love'

I most definately will look you up on youtube!

Her spirit has definately touched my heart, in a very big way, bigger than i can even explain or describe.

Mandy

Didn't we almost win

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 am 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

Hi Mandy,
Looks like you and I are typing at the same time here!
Do you have a request that you would like us to try to sing. (a song of Laura's that we could try to sing a cover version of)
I can't make any promises, as I have found that some of her songs are impossible for us to sing, and others are very hard, and don't sound good enough even for our low expectations.
Let me know if you have one you want us to attempt.
Take care.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 am 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

Hi Branifan777,

Sure does look as though we're typing at the same time :)

I do have a request actually. It is "Never in a million years" I really love that song :)

Didn't we almost win

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

branigan4eva wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am so glad to have found this forum.

My name is Mandy, i'm 25 years old and i live in South Australia.

I've recently discovered Laura Branigan about 6 months ago and ever since then have been a huge fan.

I was watching a show late at night once when they were advertising a compilation CD collection from the 80s and they went through all these songs from various artists and then they came to "Gloria" and i thought wow what a voice and what a song. I didnt know who Laura was but i did some research online and found out who she was and then i began listening to her other music on youtube and started buying her CDs.

My dream was to write to Laura and see if maybe i could meet her someday.
And then my heart was shattered into a million pieces when i heard of her passing. How could this happen to such a young and beautiful woman?

Laura really was different to everyone else and she showed it. When she sang, she meant every word, she could feel the song through every inch in her body. Just by looking at her and how she interacted with the audience you could see she was the type of person who loved and cared for people, she was humble. No ego like some musicians these days. What a truely amazing person she was and she has certainly left the world a better place for having walked this earth.

I never knew Laura personally, but i feel like i knew her so well, through her music i feel so close to her. Music is something that's very close to my heart, i've learnt piano and sang for many years, until i was struck with illness Doctors have been unable to identify. For the last 7 years i've been pretty much home bound and i had given up all hope on life.

Something in Lauras voice and music has sparked something inside me to keep on fighting and to look for a diagnosis for my mystery illness that has isolated me from life. I have now tried everything without success and now i am on herbal medicine, i feel this is the one thats going to make a break through for me.

I have seen the SOL on here and my heart aches, oh how i wish i could be there but i am just to weak to travel. But my goal is to be there one day and every year after that. I'd do anything to get close to Laura and the people who knew her and i feel i can do that on this fourm.

Kathy and Vince what awesome people you are doing what you do. You're absolutely amazing and this site is, i cant even find the words to describe it. To say it's brilliant would be offensive as that would be an understatement.
Thanks for keeping Laura's memory alive.

I am typing this listening to Laura's "Over You" song and i am in tears typing this. What a legend beautiful Laura is.

I love you always Laura. XX

Hi Mandy

This really is a great fan site for Laura. Its nice to see NEW fans finding us here..
Hope you are FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from the fires in Australia and that your friends and family are safe as well. :text-welcomewave:
Take care and my wife and I look forward to seeing more your posts on this board...
Many Greetings from Germany
Sally and Kerstin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Quebec
Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. :text-welcomewave: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-jumpeveryone: I hope you are keeping well. Don't be a stranger, let's get this forum cooking.

Low C Bassman

She is sure
And her truth makes me stronger
Does she realize
I awake every morning
With her strength by my side

This world keeps on spinning
Only she stills my heart
She's my inspiration
She's my northern star
I don't count my possession
All I call mine I will give her completely
To the end of all time

I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 pm 
Certified Gold
Certified Gold

State/Province: Louisiana
Hi branigan4eva!
:text-welcomewave:
I hope you enjoy the forums!! :happy-wavemulticolor:

This is me!!!>>Image

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"- Jim Halpert, The Office

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:49 pm 
Multi-Platinum
Multi-Platinum

State/Province: Ontario
Welcome branigan4eva!!!!
MariKate :text-woo:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:52 pm 
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

State/Province: PA
A very warm :text-welcomeconfetti: to you, Mandy, from Vince and I. We are so glad you are here! :-D It's so encouraging to see those of your age discovering Laura and her music. What a WONDERFUL post... you truly have captured the essence of what Laura wished to accomplish with the magnificent gift that she shared with us - to touch people's souls. I couldn't help but smile for Laura when reading how although you never knew her personally, you feel like you knew her so well. I can't tell you the countless times I have heard or read that very same sentiment expressed by other fans. What a wonderful legacy our Laura has left behind - to have made that very special connection. :romance-smileyheart:

It brought a tear to my eye to read about your health struggles and to know that Laura's voice and music have given you the motivation to keep on fighting and moving forward. Laura would be the first to encourage you to "be strong" and to "stay focused" - words of wisdom that she often gave to others. :angelic-sunshine: I pray that you have a breakthrough soon. :pray: It would be so nice if you could join us at SOL at some point...

Thank you for your very kind words. :smile: We're glad that you are enjoying LBO and that you have made your way here to the Forum. :happy-sunny: Everything that we do is motivated by our love for Laura and our commitment to ensuring that her legacy goes forward in ways that honor her as a person and honor her vision for her artistry. We couldn't do what we do for a better person... :happy-sunshine:

Take care and :text-thankyoublue: for jumping right in and getting involved! :happy-wavemulticolor:

Kathy

Kathy and Vince
Member of The Recording Academy

Webmasters
LauraBraniganOnline.com
The Official Laura Branigan Website

I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You`re still here beside me every day
`Cause I know you by heart...